1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus Commando

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Quality review to Bit-tech's high standards as usual. :thumb:

On a side note, anyone know what ever happened to the Asus Frontlinker? Maybe somebody at HQ can pull some strings and find out?

3. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

So is the Asus P5B Deluxe the better board in terms of value/features then?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends what you're after, Wifi? Solid state caps? LCD screen? Onboard switches? A couple more heatpipes to provide better stability during the summer? Slightly better overclocking potential, 400 or 450? You have to judge if the £20 is worth it considering your needs.

Nu: I'll put it on my list to ask Asus at CeBit.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Awesome review yet again, there's a flurry of mobo's coming atm, it's awesome. :D

Looks like a good board really, have you any quibbles that didn't make it to review?

6. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

As always a good review by Bit-tech.
    Seems quite a variable board going by the forums - some people think that it's as simple a case of QC & whether they were made in the new Chinese factory or not.
    Also a lot of reports of them being noisy, Clunk over on Hexus had 3 which I think have all gone back (certainly 2 have).

Plans for an AB9 QuadGT review?

7. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@ BUFF

Noisy when using the optional cooler?

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Noisy? As in electrically? Because the thing doesn't have a single fan. I never used the optional cooler, and it survived 24 hours of stress test without it.

When I see Abit at CeBit I'll ask for one. We gave up on the AB9 Pro since ours died :(

We had 3 EVGA 680i boards and every one was bad, so sometimes you get good and bad batches of any manufacturer.

9. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 7 Mar 2007
  10. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@ BUFF

That sounds like a group of defective boards, when you said noisy I assumed every board was inherently noisy.

I've used the Asus P5B-Deluxe without this problem, so I'm guessing it's not a widespread issue?

11. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

well they've been in the US, UK & Europe so it's a big group ...

HardOCP just posted their review today & they too struggled to get over ~460fsb.

12. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@ Bindibadgi

Can you confirm the review board did not have this 'buzzing' issue? It would put me off buying it to be honest.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Well the labs aren't exactly quiet with some seven machines running on and off, but I'm usually pretty susceptible to high pitched whines and this didn't have any that I noticed the entire time.

I was actually looking at a way to stop the coils whining the other day: apparently if you move them whilst the board is running (with something non metallic) until they seem better, and drop liquid neophrane/silicon on them it kills the noise.

We've had this board since mid-Jan though, so if recent board batches are iffy either try to wait or buy from somewhere noone else does?

14. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

@ Bindibadgi

Thanks for the follow up.

I think I'll probably go for the P5B-Deluxe instead, I would be concerned that I couldn't return the Commando because it 'whines'...

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Go for it, you'll save twenty quid in the process and gain onboard WiFi. Asus even do a Vista edition P5B now.

16. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Vista Edition?

17. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

18. randosome

randosome Banned

so whats the difference, it supports a TPM module (but you have to buy it separately)
    And it supports readyboost - though i don't understand how that makes any difference to the motherboard at all
    And i guess it has vista drivers

did i miss anything ?

19. Kubix

Kubix What's a Dremel?

Had a commando since it came out, not noticed a whine or anything off the board. Running it will an E6700 and it never skips a beat, one of the better boards i have had. the optional cooler i havent used a there is plenty airflow within the case.

20. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Thanks for that, and welcome to the forums :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags