1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DisplayPort 1.1 approved by VESA

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

cool... it looks like an usb......

3. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

UDI looked more impressive tbh. 10.8GBit/s hardly gives any room for increased resolution :(

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

will it mean the death of vga and dvi? yes and no...
    vga yes.. dvi no...
    i bet graphicscards will have one displayport 1.1 and a dvi port in the future...

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I don't care until there's at least four outputs per card. Seeing how monstrously huge some recent video cards have been, I don't think it's asking for that much if they'll be able to fit them.
    </display whore>

6. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Sounds good - as long as it makes it smaller and easier to plug in and plug out.

Dont really see the need for higher resolutions than those supported by Dual-Link DVI which this will support - but there is always someone out there who wants more.

7. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

good. any actual standard that is open and not privatized/fee-based like HDMI which will make products cheaper. Also, it's smaller than DVI and VGA. I've been waiting for this to come out for like 6 months. I read an article on it on Cnet and just thought it was a good idea put on hold... glad I was wrong.

Question: What is the best way to get both the video an audio from the computer (assuming it has a DP1.1 port) to the Display (the Moniter/Projector/Plasma) and also to your Surround Sound System (Receiver) with only one direct path?

My guess is that you would have to take the cable from the back of the video card to the receiver and have a DP1.1 port on the receiver (which would take care of the audio) and then from the back of the receiver to the Display. Am I right? Basically it's the same for HDMI I would expect.

8. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

What’s the point of another port? HDMI is the digital standard in the HD AV era and PC's are trying to integrate more in an AV setup why have such a similar yet incompatible port? Why not suck up the fees and use HDMI. Seems pointless to me.

9. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

I agree

10. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Because you have to pay to have an HDMI port. For consumers to have cheaper products, a free port like the declared one is required.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Spiffy, VGA/DVI connectors are a right ******* to use.

12. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Agreed, and how many time have you suddenly got a blue tint to your screen when it comes a bit loose?

In my setup, the weight of the cables puts a great strain on the sockets on the back of my gfx card, so I would love something that would fix this (they are currently supported with electrical tape)

13. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

UDI++ # 16 GBit/s, yay

14. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Considering the low licencing costs for hdmi, manufacturers should have swallowed the nominal fees for the benefit of the consumer.

15. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I'm all for it, as long as bandwidth can be increased ala dual link. Not having to screw it in is a bonus, especially when reaching around behind the monitor or computer feeling your way around, then having to screw it in. DP for the win. UDI would be better, although with no support I don't think it will become widespread.

16. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

on the monitors themselves I think that they will have more ports, not less

probable list:
    VGA
    DVI
    DP
    Component
    HDMI

at least we can hope that they include some sort of split-screen/switching in the panels.

The BenQ 24" is a perfect current-day example of this

Last edited: 30 Jul 2007
  17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

That is why you have the screws on the plug... so that it doesn't fall out.

18. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Them falling out is not the problem, it's the physical weight put on the socket

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

what?!, your plug has an AC adapter sort of thing?!?! Its the only thing that I can think off where it can possible brake the port.

Look, the plug is design to hold that weight, else stop buying crazy products.

In My opinion, it is just some crappy thing so that when you buy a new video card, and you came home, you realize that it doesn't fix because, it takes a new plug. So you change your mobo, so that means a new CPU, new RAM type, and oh look a new SATA cable, so you need to change your HDD. Moreover, the Mobo take a new power plug, so you need to change the PSU. Then guess what, the PSU doesn't fit in your case, so you need a new case, and finally when you thing you can save your IDE Optical drive.... no they decided to not have that plug anymore on the mobo... and guess what.. the only device you can plug to have an optical drive is this Blu-ray/HDDVD/DVD/CD combo reader/burner...

In other words, you just purchased a new computer...
    Ok I TOTALLY exaggerated, but you get my point.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2007
  20. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

@goodbytes - not really, smart buying decisions and the fact that standards such as DVI, VGA, and DP exist ensures that such an event will not happen.

the only way such a thing would happen is if you were using a computer made around 2001 and wanted to put an SATA HDD and a DP card in it. (the DP card wouldn't be an issue if an AGP vers is made)

Tags: Add Tags