1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News More Adventures down DDR3 lane

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Interesting stuff. Let's hope the thoughts against performance memory don't infect other big chip manu's. Alright, there's not much money to be made, but surely it's useful for experimental tech? And brand loyalty maybe...

S'pose is depends on whether they care about smaller supplies rather than just supplying big OEM's.

3. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I just hope the advantages of DDR3, even with the increased cost, will outweight DDR2. Why such loose timings? Will those decrease over the next few months you think? Anyways, I will be purchasing a new rig come this Xmas hopefully and I really hope DDR3 catches ground and becomes as mainstream as the original DDR. I like having standards in my case that will last a good while.

4. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Timings always decrease over time and they mean different things for different DRAM technologies. Looser timings doesn't mean higher latencies.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

i woudn't worry too much yet about the crap timings, wait till ocz, corsair and co introduce their ddr3 products to the market, the module's in the article are most likely just the cheap stuff for the masses that buy their complete computers at a local electronics (or food :wallbash: ) store.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what are the advantages of this DDR3?

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

less competition? Enthusiasts at heart?

8. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Meh.

I dont really get this whole ddr2, ddr3 stuff. The only real performance increase I see with ram, is when you add more.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OCZ and Corsair use the stuff these guys are making. They are just chip repackagers not DRAM manufacturers.

10. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

:idea: Interesting.....I thought they manufactured this stuff and just built on what the original idea was...

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Nope, atm both use Micron D9 DDR2 memory chips.

12. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

DDR3? Aiieeeeee, i've not even moved on from DDR yet ;o

13. Ajspeed

Ajspeed What's a Dremel?

Ah DDR3 ram feeble dreams of a mad man, Just imagine how expensive it will be.

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

yes and no,

yes, because they buy their chips,
    no, because they cherry pick the best chips and sell them at clocks (and or latencies) that by far exceed what they where originally specified for.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes, they get batches from Micron and test them themselves to get a list of frequencies the ICs are capable of. They still don't manufacture the IC's at all. Even overclocking and upping the voltage means they can't control what chips they get, hence why 10k modules are so very rare.

At 7-7-7 you'll only get 5 or 4 if your exceptionally lucky imo. It's not like putting money into research to manufacture faster cores that can then be tailored to whatever Corsair would want them for :) But it still means they can shop around for the best overclocking memory. If Samsung or Hynix are crap, just go back to Micron.

16. naokaji

naokaji whatever

yes, your right bindibadgi, my point was mostly that the speeds we are seeing now for ddr3 form micron, hynix and so on are not the same speeds we will see with the enthusiast oriented retail market products.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes but everything is relative ;) We're not going to see enthusiast stuff do cas-3 for example :)

Tags: Add Tags