1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 users try to cure Alzheimer's Disease

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. konsta

konsta What's a Dremel?

not linked through from the story properly...

EDIT: ok...it wasn't first time I clicked.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Great stuff - shame the PC client is so crappy.

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

So we can leave our Playstations running at full load but we can't leave our light bulbs on or use our cars. Oh No! That would cause carbon to seep into the atmosphere and cause global warming!

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

250,000? I didn't think Sony had sold that many PS3s! :D

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Great news!

Quick typo -
    teraFLOPS = (tera) floating point operations per second, so you're saying "...operations per second per second".

7. [stuart]

[stuart] What's a Dremel?

It's OK though, we'll cure cancer doing it!

The 200W used to power it though seems somewhat concerning if you're doing it 24/7 from a usage point of view.

Either way, even with all the good work PS3's are doing for research, I buy a games console to play games, not cure diseases and use alot of electricity.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this will consume tons of power, but at least the console will be more useful.

9. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

The PS3 receives a purpose.

Perhaps I'll get my print server pulling double duty for bit-techs team...

10. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I find that funny too, that while people chip away at their usage - 5w here, 3w here, oh can't have the house above 64.2 degrees, or the entire planet's my fault alone :nono:

Then they go introduce a 200w brick to their grid. I bet these will be the people to unplug alarm clocks while their kids sleep, too.

Beyond that, knowing the worksmanship of consoles lately, who's willing to bet that folding PS3s will croak the fastest - from electromigration, or dead fans. :rock:

11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Wouldn't be such a bad thing ro run if it could actually do it in the background whilst playing vids or downloading but as it stands once launched you can't background download, hopefully the F@H guys or Sony fix that, I have no issue with it running, the client runs on my laptop, if the machine is on the difference between load and idle is about 10-15w so why not, the PS3 software needs fixed though so that I can still download stuff from PSN etc. whilst its running until then it won't be running on my PS3.

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

You do get something back from all this power usage right? like points and stuff to redeem for gifts? I would hope so, but at the same time I would feel good doing this because someday I may need a cure for some disease.....you never know.... but the bill may still turn me off if I was to get a PS3

13. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I say we all take saving the environment to the next level. Build ocular sensors that turn off the lights when we blink to save energy. The energy saved over 10 years could light 3 homes for 2.1 seconds, and stop nearly .6kg of greenhouse gases from entering the atmosphere!

The answer isn't to turn off your lights, its to GET NEW FORMS OF RENEWABLE, CLEAN ENERGY. Its what all the smart people keep saying, because its not using energy thats bad, its making it. People don't seem to understand that. Its sad really.

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

well at least you can choose to fold or not

15. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

i preffer WCG than f@h and i hope ibm desings a client for the ps3 for wcg

16. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Quoted for Truth.

And just look at it this way... if the PS3 is spewing 200W of heat into your living room, then that's just 200W that your central heating doesn't have to do. So we all break even in the end. Unless it's summer and you have the AC on. Then the earth cries.

17. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

QFT as well... Surprisingly enough, Nuclear energy is by far the best source of clean energy we have, and can EASILY power hundreds of thousands of homes per single plant.

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

QFT. Unfortunately most people do not take the time to get all the facts about nuclear energy and are therefore left believing that it is dangerous and their children will grow extra eyes and limbs if they live next to a nuclear power plant. Granted, there are inherent problems with using nuclear energy, such as the question of what to do with the waste products, but considering the alternatives and their problems, I believe that it is the best option at the moment (except for renewable sources which unfortunately are as yet unable to supply the amount of energy we need)

19. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Best thing to do with waste products: Make them into tipped rounds.

Tags: Add Tags