1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft goes Service Pack crazy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Hopefully the Office 07 SP will fix the bug which stops me from deleting any notebooks, thus leaving me with about 3 copies of the same ones after moving them to a new location! Will look forward to the Vista SP as well though- it should bring it closer to XP in terms of stability and performance, and give me a few more laptop minutes :).

<A88>

3. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

in XP SP3 that pack is due to have faster boot times then XP SP2,
    vista patch will just make the system more stable, bug fix's (copying large files), performace will most likey be the same

4. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

My annoyance with VIsta is it takes so long to copy files from a to b compared to XP. Hopefully that will be fixed with SP1!

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

exfat seems like good news hopefully ill be able to pick up Vista with Sp1 OEM in feb in time for my new comp

6. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

I like that XP will be faster. Though I think SP3 is a very quiet admission of failure with Vista, since they weren't going to release any new service packs for XP when Vista came out. Seems kinda odd that SP1 for Vista does nothing for performance...

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

How is that Odd??? lol why do people always seem to forget that their oh so precious windows xp was the same as Vista when it launched but with even more issues, SP1 for XP did little for performance as well was mainly focused at cleaning up the bugs that it had, SP2 for XP improved performance BUT people at the time were so worried about all the copyright protection and "monitoring software" that was rumored and floating around at the time that a lot of people held off from SP2 for a long time before making the switch but anyhow thats all old news, I think Vista is doing a wonderful job for being a new OS, I have had less issues with Vista then I have had with XP when it first came out, but I will admit the real OS Im looking forward to is Vienna. ^_^

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Eh? I thought it was just public beta...

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Why does choosing to stick with XP for a while longer make people regard me as a luddite? I can't believe how divisive an issue it's become, I never thought my choice of OS would ally me with a side in a near-religious dispute over which is better.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

On the downside, Vista really doesn't seem to be a very good OS. Even after the update I won't have a lot of confidence in it.

On the upside, XP seems to be doing great these days. Stable, fairly modifiable, easy to use, stable (I know I said that already, but given it's an MS OS it bears repeating). I actually feel perfectly comfortable these days saying that WinXP SP2 is a stable, decent OS.

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

I stick with xp even though I used vista for a long while. If nvidia aren't going to keep updating graphics drivers for the 7xxx go series then my only chance at getting some performance in games is through this OS.

I didn't want to believe it but it is so....

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

wow, you've saved me a few hours of uninstalling. many thanks.

hope Vista SP1 will make Vista more popular..... by the way, since SP1 brings Dx10.1, when's 9800GTX comming out?

13. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Be sure to buy a legit copy before downloading these, guys.

14. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

That's irritating... XP SP3 is going to take another 6 months.
    So much for the "release candidate" then. I thought when it was at RC stage, it was basically all done.

Tags: Add Tags