1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel wants to bring the 'net to your pocket

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 8 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I dont think that innovation is ever a bad thing. if they want to try and make the internet better, power to them.

3. f00dl3

f00dl3 What's a Dremel?

I got the net in my pocket fine with my Sprint Mogul. Don't need Intel to try to pitch the net at me, they are behind if they think it has not been innovated yet.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

"...instead of you finding the information, the information you require finds you..."

We allready have that. It's called Spam ;)

I'm actually waiting for a good, usable portable Internet...something like the iphone offers, but without an iphone pricetag.

Cheers Xir

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Sounds like Otellini's re-predicting the Matrix that Gibson predicted in Neuromancer. :p

Now where did I leave that occipital jack?..

6. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

I'm pretty sure I have the net in my pocket already... Hello, iPhone.

7. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I can see where Intel is coming from on this having run into problems with my WM5 smartphone. I don't know if things are better with he iphone as I have only messed with it a little. What usually happens to me is that I run into a limitation of the browser and fixing it is either not possible, or there are pay solutions that help, but don't always fix the problem. App development for non PC platforms is also spotty. For my ARM based phone, Opera does not operate properly, and Mozilla will lock it up hard such that I need to reset the phone. I was trying to find a place over Christmas, but having a problem. I figured I'd just use my phone to check the company's web page for the address then use Google maps to figure out where I went wrong. The company web site required the latest PC version of flash, and would not do anything for my phone despite the version of flash I had for Windows mobile. I've run into weird Java problems in other places too. I can't speak for the iphone as I have not been able to play with one for very long, but I suspect there are browser walls to be hit there too.
    Is it crappy site design? I don't think that is necessarily the case considering that the natural assumption of many web designers is that they are targeting a PC. As we get the new web tech, will the current crop of mobile devices be able to keep up? On the other hand, might the wireless provider use software upgrades as a means to get you to buy a new device rather than updating your existing, perfectly functional gizmo?

Being able to carry an x86 device that is internet connected in my pocket would be nice (if only the eee PC was a bit smaller...and a tablet).
    I know I can't use my phone to VNC or VPN into my home network. I have yet to try SSH thought, but I'm not expecting much there either. It would be nice to be able to administer my home systems remotely, access the PCs on my nework, and maybe even pull files down without having to set up services specifically for mobile devices.

But UMPCs may not be all they are cracked up to be. They will be competing in the PDA and PDA phone space so they will need to be priced competitively, but because they are PCs, they will need to have enough power to run the PC internet applications. So far, OQO, Samsung, and Sony have failed to deliver a real competitor IMHO.

Tags: Add Tags