1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News THQ abandons Frontlines PS3, Juiced, Stuntman

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Jan 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

heh... sounds like one of the death tolls for the PS3.... and here I was debating on whether to buy one... phsshh...

3. rhuitron

rhuitron Bump? What Bump?

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    HAHAHHAHAHA

That's `Casue Sony SUCKS!!!!

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
    HAHAHHAHAHA

4. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

That sucks. I was looking forward to that on PS3.
    With PS3 sales getting a recent sales boost every where after the recent price changes I'd have thought THQ should have stuck with the new IP. Suppose there a number of shooters coming out soon. Fair enough Stuntman has definitely gone down hill in recent releases and Juiced has stiff competition. But the article says even PS2 titles have been canned.

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I certainly wouldn't count "Stuntman" and "Juiced" as one of the "death tolls" of the PS3 -- they certainly aren't the 2 games keeping the system alive!

I found both of those games to be very uninspiring -- nothing more than something to watch on the screens in the local game shop as an eye-grabber. I'd never buy them.

And besides, we're still really only seeing the end of first gen games for the PS3 -- the console has loads of potential and we're going to start seeing this year.

6. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

At the rate this is going, my PS3 will probably rust before it sees another new title. That takes into consideration that I own nearly all the available titles, bought everything from the PSN UK store (including all those Folklore packs :clap: ) and obtained the latest demos from other countries... now I have run out of things to play on the PS3.

I can't see why THQ is pulling out specifically on the PS3 but it is starting to sum up the only reason for the PS3's existence. MGS4, GTA4, DMC4, GT5, RE5, FFXIII, Tekken 6... these are well known titles and are quite literally the titles that the PS3 is trying to cash on, especially for the fanboys.

All this talk about how the PS3 will be great, I agree with its potential but the PS3 simply lacks the games to back it up. The outlook for PS3 releases is looking rather bleak but consoles like the XBox 360 is still growing strong.

7. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

they have built a machine which its just as same as the sega saturn, which they crushed in the 90's.

Overpriced, difficult to write good code for, not enuff support from the sony development staff......and buy the time some developer get good and coding for the PS3 developers cancel the PS3 verison. If they spend more time with these type of developers than messing with the unreal 3 engine for 2 years then maybe this wouldnt happen.

so in about 2-3 years time, when the next xbox is due, only expect first party title to be available on the PS3.

8. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

they are simply run of the mill games.... nothing special or incredible..... they wont make the console sell less or more.....

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

THQ make some of the worst games out there. I think its great they canned those games, lets face it, they are pants, and there are much better titles out there.

10. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

People were looking for Frontlines for PS3? I'm more interested in Killzone 2 and Resistance 2. So 1 game is canned for the PS3, 1 game that up to this point, hasn't had very much, or very good press to begin with. Hardly a loss for the PS3
    with much stronger FPS's both available now, and coming soon (Haze if it stops getting delayed haha, Resistance 2, and Killzone 2).

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I don't see the PS3 alone on these titles...

PS3/Sony haters can say what they want, but these games (including from what I know of Frontlines) weren't going to be anything special (considering what titles will be coming out by Spring) and were only going to be games you find for $25-30 used 2 months after they come out because they offered nothing over what would've been released on both systems by the time they debuted....

How is this announcement being taken as such a "huge loss/blow" to the PS3? Ridiculous IMO considering what lies ahead in terms of upcoming titles.....

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'd not call any of this news story a death toll for the PS3.

The absolute lack of a good library of games is a death toll, yes, but not THQ canning a couple of crappy game series and Frontlines.

Frontlines is enjoyable, but bugger all different to BF2, so eh. Can live without it, in all honesty.

I don't think this is going to affect the PS3 sales, but I find it hard to expect that any title is going to remain exclusive to the PS3, and I believe that's the biggest kicker for it, since the exclusive games are few, far between, and some are really, really bad.

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Wow. A relevant post for relevant reason. :blah:

Anyways, it's a shame but meh. Nothing to worry about I'd think.

14. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

All three of the games that got canned are fairly bland/blah franchises anyways. If anything PS3 owners should be happy that their system was spared three games they weren't going to play which allows THQ to spend more of their resources on better projects for the PS3.

15. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

GTA4, DMC4, RE5 are on the 360 as well. So that would leave MGS4, GT5, FFXIII and Tekken 6 for Sony to capitalise on.

For me personally, I would get a PS3 (had a 1 and 2).. but I just can't justify it. The 360 was easy as there was a load of games that interested me. Drake's fortune doesn't appeal.. kill zone 2 looks cool with stuff flying everywhere, but it's not doing it for me KZ 1 was yawnworthy. The last tekken I got was tekken 2. Grown out of fighting games.
    Of the exclusive ones you listed.. only GT5 interests me because of the Top Gear test track. MGS4 is a "maybe". It would have to be universally lorded as the best game ever for me to get it. Not a game I would pre-order.
    A Blu-Ray player to go with my HD DVD player would be a good idea at this point.. but they are region locked and the UK Blu-Ray prices are utterly ridiculous (Lost season 3 is locked.. clearly they don't want my money!.. very strange).

Then there's the price... UK customers are charged double the US customers are.. no 80gig version. and finally they crippled the system so I can't even dust off my PS1/2 games which sit waiting.

You've just got to wonder whether they want us to buy it at all.

16. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

I think if it tells us anything, its that THQ feels in this instance at least, the extra costs for developing a version for the PS3 (Or for all we know, extra costs involved in getting it working well on PSN or both) would outweigh the profits that might be made releasing on the platform.

Not neccessarily anything to get worked up on its own but it also might just be indicative of a trend we might not otherwise hear much about.

17. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Pretty sh*tty. I somewhat enjoyed the original Juiced and was excited to play Juiced 2 since ProStreet was so pathetically underwhelming. Anyways, I'd still lay down the bills for an 80GB unit once the new Turismo ships.

I've grown tired of people moaning about the PlayStation 3's price. For a black box that, effectively, does everything your entire home entertainment and PC (with Linux) will do, I find it to be a bargain. For example, say you moved into a new flat, but only needed to bring your PS3 and a tele because your entire digital life entertainment is in that game entertainment console.:rolleyes:

18. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Would you still think it was a good price if the cheapest you could get the 40GB version was £300? That's why people here are moaning.

19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

works well for me just drop an bigger hdd in it if you use it or just use TVersity

20. JulsTheJackal

JulsTheJackal What's a Dremel?

the real reason why THQ cancelled the ps3 of the game is due to the fact the this game is going to be a average. they are not going to spend cash (which they do not have at the moment) to make a average game for two systems. the "trashbox 360" version was more ahead in development and they just decided to drop it since they do not have the programming expertize to take advantage of the superior ps3 hardware.
    as for all the ps3 trashing by the billy gates cronies, just remember to get your facts straight.

the xbox360 failure rate is over 37%, the ps3 is under 1%
    the ps3 have 2x the power of the xbox360
    the ps3 can play blue-ray movies (blue ray have won the format war, get over it now) the trasbox360 needs an add-on to play defunct HD-DVDs
    Killzone 2, MetalGearSolid 4, Little Big Planet are so big that they need blue-ray disc space. if these game where going to be programmed for the trashbox360, they would need at least 2 discs
    I could go on and on and but the consumer right now is slowing deciding who is winning. Most experts agree that the PS3 will overtake the xbox360 in late 2009 or early 2010 by sales. With the price of the ps3 getting cheaper and cheaper and games getting better and better for the system, the ps3 will be the must have system.
    also Halo 3 really sucked, i should know, i also have a xbox 360.

at the end of the day if THQ could have made better games to begin with, they would not be in the trouble they are now. they are just cuttting there loses since they know this game is going to such anyways, just read the reviews on the xbox-live downnload demo of it. I played it for a few hours and deleted it right away. just dont want any more trash on the hard-drive
    lol

Tags: Add Tags