1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Legally enforced ratings system for UK?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

If they can give out these legal ratings but not out right ban things then i have no issue with the bbfc issuing the certificates as apart from a few decisions they tend to be fair.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I'm all up for more enforcement, screaming kids in CoD4 are so annoying.

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Sounds about right to me, although there will need to be a fair media campaign as in many parent's eyes a game is for children. regardless of what numbers it's got on the front.

5. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

QFT!
    Which often translates to, you screamed into my head, now imma put a bullet in yours.

6. hawky84

hawky84 SilentModder

this is only a great idea so that parents can no longer blame games anymore, although it is going to be really annoying showing your ID everytime you go to buy a game at the shops. And as we all know most people buy over the internet so how will this be inforced?

Children that are too young for the kind of content that requires a certificate are more than likely going to get the game bought for them anyway (as there pocket money might not streach to £50) so this leaves the responsibility down to the parents. Even if a child buys a game that they are too young to play surely they are not going to go to the extent to hide the case and only play it at night when mum and dad are asleep. Parents need to spend more time with their kids and pay attention to what games they like / dislike and maybe even start playing the games with them (go on parents have a laugh).

People are to quick to blame everyone else before themselves. Stating that you need the goverment to do the parenting work for you is basically saying YOU ARE NOT FIT TO HAVE CHILDREN. End of story.

7. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Call me 'crazy' and 'mad' if you wish, but i always assumed it was illegal to sell rated 18 games to kids anyway? When I was young, I was turned away from game trying to buy Duke 3D.

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Stick BBFC ratings on the cases the same way as you do with DVD's and make the same sales restrictions apply.
    Hardly difficult.

9. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

no problem with this at ALL. Of course parents won't play any attention to it and things like Bully will still be evil (with a 15 rating, sheesh). No real difference.
    I hope the UK games companies will not jump to attack this like in the US which is just stupid and damages games and gamers more. Oh and I hope that Co*kstar don't get involved as they will screw up up for the own dubious publicity.

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Enforcin the current age limits is a great idea....as its a midleground between the freedom the average gamer wants and the outright ban on violent games some activists want. If this comes about then hopefully the goverment will take the usual line - we've made progress and taken steps in this area, now thats that, we may review the situation in 10years.

One major flaw is of course that half the staff at pcworld/game/currys etc are under 18 themselves so wont be able to sell games with an enforced age limit.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Don't we already have a legally enforced rating system for games? At least, that's what my 15 label the BBFC slapped on my copy of the club says.

12. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Seems fair, I mean we have certificates for films so why not video games. Especially as many people think video games can be more "damaging" due to interactive action-reward aspect.

They should still maintain the power to ban games however or force major changes if they deem them to be unacceptable, much like they do with films

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Amen to that - keep children out of games they shouldn't be playing but allow freedom of choice for us adults.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Voluntary IIRC. It's why I'm looking at a desk drawer full of PEGI rated games, a handful of ESRB rated and only one or two BBFC. Usually ones which go for BBFC rating are the really mature ones who don't want to mess around and have to deal with all the screaming parents because they can just say "Check the gorram label."

Problem is, if you apply for BBFC rating and they give you a ban or 18 then it becomes legally enforceable. You can't apply for BBFC rating and then change your mind once you get an 18 cert.

15. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Double Amen!

A legally enforced rating systems is a *far* better method than an all out ban in the hopes that material and content does not filter down to the underaged.

True, like others have said, the actualy *enforcing* of it will no doubt have the same efficiency as underaged drinking and purchasing fags, but I suppose the main point is that a system is in place that a) allows us adults the freedom to choose while b) ensuring that parents, albeit those with *some* idea of parenting, can be made aware of the ramifications of not doing their job. Again, what exactly those "ramifications" are I have no idea... if it's anything like what happens to groups of yobs getting caught for drinking it simply means pouring the drink away and a, "Roight, off ya go". :rolleyes:

16. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I would struggle to argue why films should get a rating, yet games shouldn't, for what would equate to roughly the same content.

17. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Firefly?

Enforceable ratings sounds good to me.

18. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Great idea, although they would probably have to make versions of games with blue blood to avoid lost sales (I think this sorta thing happens in germany?)

Shame it would never be fully upheld in england, just look at all the chavs with fags and booze :p

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

quadruple amen.

QFT

20. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm all for it. If anything, it's going to take the blame off games and throw it at the parents that're stupid enough to buy the game. I wonder if there would be legal ramifications for a parent buying their underage children 18 rated games?

I know, sadly, that this system doesn't stop parents buying their underage children alcohol (I've seen them try it countless times, and been threatened with legal action, and violence over it), and have doubts as to its ability to stop them buying underage games. But then, if they complained and made a big deal about it - Surely they'd be the ones taken to court and no one else?

Yes, it sucks for you 17 year olds used to playing 18 rated games, but hey. You'll probably con your parents into buying it for you =P

Tags: Add Tags