1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360 Blu-ray add-on speculation is "premature"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Feb 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm not sure, I can't see it selling massively well, as traditional Blu-Ray players are going to plumet in price as everyone piles into the market, but MS might do. I guess it depends on how many people appear to want to make the jump from DVD to Blu-Ray.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I wonder whether they are more likely to make an all in one unit with blu-ray now it's won.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I imagine one of the big cons of making a built in system before was that it might not win, now there is a clear winner that has gone. But there still remains the question of whether people would buy it. I wouldn't TBH.

If it weren't for the BR player inflating the price of the PS3 I probably would have bought one of those too by now, and I'm sure a lot of people would have as well

5. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

the more xbox sku's the better eh?

i doubt they will make an all in one console

at best another ugly addon box like the hddvd drive

way i see it is that i reckon that the only way that microsoft can offer a good alternative is to ditch HD formats and concentrate [perhaps lower the price to make it more attractive] on their hd movie downloads.

6. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

"HD movie playback is not a primary purchase driver for consumers buying video game consoles."

clue is in GAMES consoles

7. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

I'd buy it tbh, but depends on how much stand alone players end up at

8. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

A bluray addon is all well and good but its needs to have a proper audio output to make it worth more than a ps3

9. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

360 with Bluray is less than a PS3 with Bluray in my opinion.

Less is this case because of the plague of H/W problems that have become associated with 360's. I wouldnt want my 360 on playing BluRay movies... shortening its lifespan even quicker. Plus.. it feels like a kludge solution, wheras the PS3 was designed from the outset with Bluray in mind.

People say 360's are more reliable now after the CPU die shrink.... but I cant help think that problems still exist (think GPU overheating)

Nope... My 360 has served me well, but this year I'll be upgrading to a PS3 for TV lounge gaming, and play the PC for hardcore RTS games. And yes... I did mean to say upgrade !

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

The price of the PS3 is pretty similar to that of the xbox 360 now and you get the blue-ray player. I know several people that bought the ps3 purely as a blu-ray player. If they released a 360 with internal drive I would be more than eager to upgrade, look how many people upgraded to the elite purely for some more hard disc space.

11. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

IMO, the conspiracy of 'MS supporting HD-DVD just to cause confusion in the marketplace' is almost coming true. They pretty much said that HD-DVD's demise didn't really matter (so why did you back it then?) and now they are talking about IPTV being the way to go (Hmm.....really...thinking plan B (actually plan A to them internally)) I really do believe they expected this outcome and with the planning of a "New Live Experience" to be based around IPTV services (which I read yesterday) it just makes sense. Every company has an agenda....

12. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

I wonder if Microsoft backed HD DVD simply because it was the opposition to Blue Ray?

I can't say I'm surprised to learn that they have a Blue Ray add on in development, I would find it hard to believe that MS would put all of their eggs in the HD DVD basket when it was still up in the air as to which format would win. They will of course deny all knowledge of its existence then probably some time in the near future they will introduce it to the market place once they have figured out how they can come to an agreement with Sony that doesn't give them something to crow about and won't look like a climb down.

13. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

Michael Ephraim must be giggling his nutz off. As for answering the question I don't think they'll include a player ever, unless the games start requiring that sort of space because standalone players should drop in price quite fast and then savings are really negated anyways.

14. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if the Xbox had HD-dvd drive i guess we still be on an format war or If it had an HD-dvd drive to start off with BR would of never been able to start, and the PS3 would most likey not sold as well

15. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

I've never felt like Microsoft ever threw itself whole heartedly in to the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle, sure they said they supported HD-DVD and released the add-on drive but thats about it. They've released three different sku's of the 360 since they released the HD-DVD peripheral was released but never took that step forward and mentioned that they would ever begin releasing 360's with HD drives standard in the box. They're decision to back Toshiba was influenced much more by the fact that Blu-Ray was Sony's baby than by any belief that HD-DVD was the standard of the future. Generally the old maxim 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' holds true and it seems pretty transparent that that was Microsoft's attitude towards the Format Wars.
    As for me I honestly don't care about Blu-Ray for watching high-def movies I'm interested in the newer storage format to ensure that there's enough room on the disc for the game developers to fit everything they want on there. I'm definitely not holding my breath for a Blu-Ray equipped 360 in this generation though but hopefully the next Xbox (the one rumored to be shipping in 2010) has a built-in (and deadly silent... okay maybe that's overly wishful thinking) Blu-Ray drive.

Tags: Add Tags