1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GTA IV drinking mini-game detailed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I invented this by the way about 8 years ago. I wrote it all down somewhere. I called it physics animation.

Also, is it really a minigame? It sounds more like when you took those pills in GTA III... or even GTA 1 and 2 if I remember correctly. That was more like a power up.

3. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I read about this yesterday and a load of people got really irate about the mini game, etc. But I think they're missing the point of it.

It's not the mini game itself that is the point to note here. It's the way in which the system can create the animated illusion of a drunken stumble or walk without predefined animated moves.

And to me that's pretty impressive -- it means that you don't have preset animations for running and walking -- the animated model can react to ineratia, momentum and ground cambre. It makes for a more realistic simulation.

But getting stinko and trying to get home does sound fun. At least it's risk free as opposed to a usual Friday nite :)

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's probably some kind of mini game they use in missions, you have to do a minigame to drink your opponent senseless to take them away or beat them so they'll like you/give you information. Then they'll probably have it so there are several bars to visit that you need to beat someone to get a bonus like with the ambulance missions (and need it for 100% completion).

5. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

God, I can just see the Daily Mail banner headlines again, "Ban this sick filth!". Add to this just about every idiot with a cause to promote will denounce the game for encouraging todays youth to drink booze - as far as I can tell they don't need that much encouragement.

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

omg can we drink drive? :D

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

its gta iv, it will stir up headlines of dumb mainstream media anyway, even if rockstar would have radically changed the game so you would have to feed fluffy pink bunnies the media would still jump on it and claim it would be the devils seed.

8. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Thats what I was thinking.

9. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Will you have the inbuilt drunk-radar that somehow seems to help me find my way to my bed every night I'm drunk, even if I can't remember getting there?

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I just hope the inverse kinematics hold up or its curtains for it all.

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Ah what me need is a Kebab compas, it'll 'ill never let you down.

12. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I'm sold
    I remember the ability to get drunk in Fable: the lost chapters, which was entertaining for a couple of minutes of wavy screen-ness and vomiting in the middle of a pub then assaulting people, punching a guard, kicking a chicken and running away so I didnt get stuck with a fine.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

can't wait to play this game on my PC :)

14. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

I'm going to save for that Geforce 8800 GT to play this game.

I think the alcohol simulator will be cool, im really hoping they make a marijuana smoking mini game aswell.

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I can smell the Hillary parade at the heels of this mini-game, cooking up a fresh batch of gaming politics dung.

Last edited: 22 Feb 2008
  16. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

PEOPLE GET DRUNK omg.

As for the idea of the cpu creating the illusion of drunkeness thats pretty impressive.

The possibility for the creation of un-scripted ai and animations will be something to watch out for.
    I mean that could range to sight, sound, touch. With independant limb movement :D :D

17. rjkoneill

rjkoneill What's a Dremel?

i can see this going down as being the sole corrupter of humanity in the eyes of everybody who doesnt play games [or has a wii]

18. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

pah, people get drunk and shoot things up a bit ocassionally getting a ride along the way. Sopranos anyone? Heck sounds like old James bond to me!!

Man if it`s got an 18 cert on it it`s the parents fault not the games companies that it`s inspiring youngsters to violence!!

Tags: Add Tags