1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: No plans for Blu-ray on Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Mar 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Why doesn't MS do the smart thing and not assume thing wrong thing?

Why not put a public vote on XboxLive and X360 websites to see what the consumer wants. Bd support or not. That way, they'd show they value what their consumers want. Or is that just too "in the box" thinking?

3. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Perhaps they are going to make their own MS-HD DVD format and start not a full blown war but perhaps some sort of skirmish or sorte just to burn some money and piss sony off.

4. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

its not happening at the moment but im sure they wil eventually do it. Is HD playback important to many gamers??

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Probably not, but i think it's the concept of increased storage capacity and obviously, allowing those that have PS3s or other BD players to then use their media on the Xbox.

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

Blu-ray is still establishing it's self as a HD format, with HD VMD and Tera-Disc out within the next year ro so, blu-ray could become old very quickly.

MS are doing the sensible thing, I'm not expecting the xbox to had a HD media drive till the xbox 720 or whatever it will be called.

To be honest, how many of you need blu-ray?.... at the moment DVD's offer me everything I need

7. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Sore losers lol

8. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

The companies which put movies out are not going to switch from blu-ray any time soon, even if a new format is avalible. They would like to sell their DVDs, more formats means less sales. Now that blu-ray is the clear winner, everything will move over and that will be our format for a good while. This is a good thing, because more sales means prices drop.

Can you name me one company planning on supporting a new format? Nope, and you probably won't able to for the next 5+ years.

9. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Michael Bay said, "I agree with you. - 12-04-2007, 12:26 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.

Bay"

MS has been planning this all along. Secondly, look how long it has taken HD DVD vs Blu-Ray to finally get over. No way will those formats just swoop in and take over. That's just unrealistic.....

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I wonder whether Sony would actually allow them to develop a blu-ray drive, since they are the main rival to their own PS3 and blu-ray is one of the USPs of the PS3.

11. Dracyr

Dracyr What's a Dremel?

because the would earn money from it.

12. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

They wont release an add on drive, just a new version of the 360 with a blu ray drive in it, that way they sell more consoles.

13. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Well, presumably MS would have to pay for the use of the BD logo and rights, and all that jazz..? And not only would that be ££ in the pockets of Sony, it also means BD media users would then be using a Sony-backed tech/format on an MS product. Any better way to stick the knife in? :D

14. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Just like his movies, Michael Bay is way over the top. The average internet connection speed in the US has not hit the point where HD video can be the norm to download. It just takes too long for most people. Not to mention that the average PC cannot handle HD video properly. Mainstream cards like the 3400 and 3600 from ATI/AMD were just released. And those are the only low end cards that can properly decode HD video so you don't need a high end CPU.

The market is not ready for HD on the web. I think blu-ray may be the last format though. But we'll see.

15. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Doubt HD VMD or Tera Disc will get anywhere... Tera-Disc might for storage but not for movies. It's pointless for a movie format to have that much space anyway.
    HD DVD had the best shot at being mainstream disc format (one which wasn't controlled by the studios themselves)... but they killed that before it could get anywhere. And that was from the DVD forum themselves. The other two formats will have virtually no big movie releases so they won't get anywhere.

The 360 would never have games released on BD if there was an addon drive. It would just be for movies. Seeing that they have the HD downloads thing going on and Blu-Ray still has virtually irrelevant sales; they'll make more money by pointing customers wanting to see a HD movie towards the Market Place.

16. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

microsoft will make next to no money on selling a blu ray add on, and they'll be admitting defeat to sony which just won't happen, instead they'll be pushing the digital downloads / rental sales model as we all know that you don't make money selling hardware you make the money selling software and as MS don't currentley produce or distribute DVD's HD-DVD's or Blu rays and they can't force anyone to licence them to make them run on Xbox (like they do with games) so they need to start selling you the digital download where if you buy into it your real money finds it's may into microsoft points and is therefore now microsofts money.

17. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

How many times in the past have we seen the phrase "there are no plans to....." whatever the issue and then all of a sudden a short time later we have an apparent back track and suddenly the are planning to do just what they have been recently vigourously denying.
    Digital downloads would be great if the ISP's were actuallty capable of providing the broadband speeds they advertise, honestly is there anyone out there who actually gets the speeds that their provider claims?
    Mine is so pathetic because of the distance to the exchange that when I switched to SKY and they tested the line they told me the best I could hope for was 512KB. This is why I'll stick to buying PC Games instead of downloading them, ditto for films. Its just so damned annoying, I wouldn't mind if it was an old estate I live on but it was built just a few years ago but the building company didn't make any provision for cable TV in the area so there's no hope of getting fibre optic broadband either.

18. ChEsTeH

ChEsTeH What's a Dremel?

Hmm I dont think I would be ever able to truly trust digital downloads, not with the failure rates of harddrives. Just losing all those films you`ve bought and downloaded would cripple me !

I prefer something tangible in my hand after parting with my hard earned cash like a shiny new DVD\Blu Ray disk in a nicely presented box, yes that does me nicely.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Yes digital media is a nice idea but people will ALWAYS want some kind of physical form that they can hold in their hands and say this is mine, so I think sooner or later probably sooner they will realize that putting a Blu-Ray add-on would be a good idea for the 360.

20. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Well it was obvious to me that blu ray would win. It brings more features to the table. Everyone forgot that they both had to compete with DVD on the cheap side, so cost would not help in the battle until after they won. So 1080p+ better plastic coating put bluray way ahead. DVD is still kicking its ass though. On another not I think they arnt going for bluray on the 360 because im sure they are throwing money at the xbox720 or xbox Golden Seal, sponsored by ben gay or w/e there next system is. BTW when it comes to electronics whatever happened to Simple Numbers, or just new names?

Tags: Add Tags