1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Miyamoto: "Wii Fit is a video game"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 18 Apr 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Needs moar lol.

3. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

Its not a game. Anyone who claims otherwise is delusional !

However... it will keep my wife occupied for many hours, and thus provide me with extra proper gaming time that I can put to good effect on my GAMING PC or PS3 !

Im sure it will sell millions, and the vast majority of the sales will be to women. Wii = The Official Womans Console.

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Does this mean pics of Joe in his PE kit are inbound?

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Well, what's the alternative?

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

try playing mario kart wii, i bet after 5 minutes you will be hooked and you'll be a girl too!! :)

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't get the news segment, I think the clue is in Wii Fit's name. Rather than promoting a device, like the PS3 for portly fellows to sit motionless in front of, Nintendo is selling a peripheral to get people moving in their living rooms.

8. Jonagon

Jonagon What's a Dremel?

"Us though? We think it's definitely more of a simulation than a game"

Would you not call simulations like flight sim and Driving simulators games then?

You could put forward a good argument that strategy games are "war simulators" rather than games..

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I always wondered about this WiiFit thing.

Why not just go for a run or to a gym if you want to get in shape? If you can find time to balance and do weird things on (And possibly with) a board and a Wii, then surely you could find time to do something else that probably doesn't include eye-strain..

But that's the cynic in me.

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Wii = The Official ANYONES Console. Do you have a problem with women and children enjoying the same sonsole/games as men?

Exactly. It is a game.
    on a console - check
    has objectives (to get fit) - check
    do it for entertainment/fun - check

what part of it is not a game?

You can call me a fanboy, that's alright. :D

11. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I just don't understand the whole concept. Who wants to simulate being fit? Why not do the real thing; which is also possible from the comforts of your own home (The same cost of the Wii Fit is slightly more than what I spent on at-home equipment to do light workouts with). I don't know what it is, but to me there is definately a difference in simulating fitness (we're pretending to be doing Yoga now?) than simulating A barrell roll in a Boeing 747, or drifting in a driving sim, and flanking in a war/strategy sim.

12. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I think the use of the word "Fit" is quite deceiving here. I can see this selling out everywhere because people think you can lose weight and "get fit" and have fun because it's on the Wii. To me this is simply a novelty item and cannot replace a good workout. Not by a long shot. It is however perhaps a good introduction to exercise - which is promising if more people get out there and do some as a result of Wii Fit.

I hope that people buy this because it's a fun and good way to get off the couch, but not be fooled into thinking it's an alternative to real exercise.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Wii is of course a woman's console. Games for guys don't necessarily have to be fun, but they do have to be violent. /sarc

The beauty of the Wii is that just about anyone, male or female, old or young, technically inclined or not, can find something for them on it. (I sound like ninty marketing here, but its true)
    Anyone seemingly except for the FPS junkies that think that a game without killing isn't a game at all :rolleyes:
    (Don't get me wrong, I love a good shooter, but I dare anyone to try to play monkey ball without having fun)

is DDR a game? singstar? etc

Last edited: 18 Apr 2008
  14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Arguably,exercise is fun yes. But is it as fun as the dancing in DDR? Is it as fun as Kaereoke? That is what it seems to confuse me. I love working out, but working out doesn't stimulate me the way a good time at Kaereoke does or dancing. I've played DDR and watch people play it. There just seems to more of a "fun" factor when it comes to a game that emulates those kinds extra activities when compared to doing a Push Up on the Board for Wii Fit. I don't see me and my friends having a blast doing Yoga multiplayer, or finding out our BMI. I will admit, the soccer mini-games looks definately fun, but the rest of Wii Fit really doesn't.

15. chiper136

chiper136 What's a Dremel?

I would argue that games take a person out of reality and allow them to perform a role that would not normally be reasonably avaliable or possible at all.

To give an example, playing WoW allows a group of people to step out of their lives and become fantasy characters which can wield swords and magic. It give you something reality lacks.
    A driving or flight simulator is identical. For a start the age restriction on piloting aircraft and driving cars, also the issue of the time/money it takes to learn/own a plane/car stop a lot of people doing it.
    An FPS allows me to fight in a war/hunt terrorist without any danger or firearm training.

All of these are games, they take us out of reality and place us in fantasy.
    Doing step aerobics has to be the lamest fantasy i have ever heard of. Whist I feel that this will sell very well due to the gimmicky nature of the Wii and its large audience of women. I cant call it a game because at the end of the day if you replaced it with brick of the same dimensions you would have the same experience.

16. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

Though, I'm not entirely sure. I think there could be some merit to the fact that it's a game, though. Though, the potential for saying it's not a game, though, certainly gives more opportunities for liberal use of the word "though", though.

17. EmJay

EmJay What's a Dremel?

I don't think that's what it was designed for, though. There are lots of people who can't do 'a good workout' - such as the elderly, or people with foot or back injuries. Look at it as interactive yoga - it gets people working on their balance and range of motion, without being bored out of their minds (a common excuse for not exercising!) It's not going to take the place of a five mile run, but it can help people with very basic exercise needs get up and moving.

I'm also curious to see games developed to use this controller - Mario, anyone? Lean to make him run, jump to make him jump? That could be incredibly dorky, but somehow rather fun.

18. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

This guy needs to stay off the crack

19. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

If you play the game, You'll find out that it really is a lot of fun as all games should be. It becomes more fun when you get the rest of your family in on it too. The Yoga isn't simulating Yoga. It's just Yoga. The sit-ups and push ups and double jack knives are real too.

If dressing up in a penguin suit and balancing on a block of ice trying to catch fish isn't a game, then I don't know what is.

20. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I agree with you completly, but here's my question...

If people play games in order to expierience things they wouldn't otherwise expierience, what's the attraction to the Sims, Second life, etc? :eyebrow:

Tags: Add Tags