1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft on GTA DLC for PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 May 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Surely it'd take too long for Rockstar to make episodes for Xbox 360 AND PS3? I smell timed exclusives to be honest. Maybe in the mean time PS3 will get vehicle/accessory packs or something? I dunno...

... and yeah I'm still ploughing through it. Still plenty of things to do :)

3. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Seems kinda stupid to ask someone with the exclusive contract if of another company will get the same thing. That's like asking Sony if Xbox 360 is getting MGS4.

How and why would Microsoft know if Sony is getting DLC? Rockstar has already said they aren't working on any DLC for PS3, but are interested in the idea of it.

4. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Because Microsoft allegedly drove a dumper-truck full of cash to Rockstar, then (probably) held a gun to their head and made them an offer they couldn't refuse (DLC only on Xbox360, kapiche?). Rumours were around the $50 million mark, not sure if that's confirmed. Either way, if that's true then you can be damn sure Microsoft know what was written on the contract.

5. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

The fact that Microsoft says "dunno", probably means that is coming for PS3. If it wasn't, they'd give a resounding "hell no". But if it's not, they don't want to outright lie, but they also don't want to advertise the fact eiterh so "We don't *think* it's possible" is the result.

GTAIV is selling a lot, which means there is a lot of money to be made in DLC. I'd wager it's too much money to get Rockstar to completely ignore the PS3. I wouldn't be surprised if the $50million deal is not nearly as "exclusive" as we think. It is a bit obnoxious of a sum though, as entire triple-A games can be made for that amount.

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

gtaIV took $100M to develope according to rockstar
    MS paid $50M for the exclusive content
    so one would assume that $50M would be more than enough to keep the DLC 100% exclusive

not that i think its fair on ps3 owners

7. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Still doesn't explain why Microsoft would have any knowledge of Sony getting DLC. Of course they know what's written on their contract with Rockstar, but I doubt they know what would be written on any contract Sony may have made with Rockstar (not saying there is one).

8. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

If Rockstar wants to screw their real fans then that's their choice, but I don't see that happening....they've already said they're going to integrate GTA IV into PS Home as well as bring DLC (though they haven't said much at all about what it will include) in some form.

here's the link

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Not really, Sony has no contractual exclusive to MGS4, it's just Kojima is developing it for the PS3 only right now.

What I heard is that MS got an exclusive deal for the episodes, I don't see why the PS3 can't have other DLC like new cars or whatever.

Why are PS3 fans more real than xbox/PC fans?

10. devdevil85

Yes, GTA debuted on PC first, but IMO Playstation made GTA. Don't get me wrong, 360 owners are fans (the game wouldn't have sold as well as it did), but I personally see PS3 owners as the real loyal fans. Hints the better attach rate even with PS3-for-BR-only owners. Again, that's just my opinion and I would see no DLC coming to the PS3 as a huge diss to the PS community showing that money (which MS has a little too much of) outweighs community/brand loyalty.....

It's not like PS3 owners are asking/expecting what MS is wanting for their 360, but atleast give PS3 owners some kind of something if you know what I mean....something that says "Yes, we know MS wants to pay us off, but we still love you and know you've been with us from the start, so we're gonna still give you something"......

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well for a start, that's just ridiculous, not all PS3 owners who play GTAIV were people who owned playstations and PS2s and bought every GTA game. Just because someone owns a PS3 copy of GTAIV doesn't make them any more loyal or any more real than an xbox (and PC in the future) owner of GTA.

So because even though I owned all the GTA games on the PS1 and PS2 I'm not a real fan because I decided that the 360 was a better system overall and I'm sure there are many other 360 owners who are the same as me.

Playstation didn't make GTA at all, the fans made GTA, and it doesn't matter what platform they bought it on, it also didn't matter if they were a fan from GTA1 or GTA3 or a new fan, they're still a fan and one is no better than another because they happened to buy it/be alive at the time.

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

i think MS is way overestimating how much the DLC will affect the two systems. It seems they think it will bring 360 sales higher than PS3 (hasnt been higher all year) or something I dunno. Really the DLC I dont think will even sell that great. It supposed to be released in fall this year. So thats what like August? Most people are going to be playing other games by then. And really how much do you think this DLC will add? 10 missions? I dont think its anything to get worked up over and if its not on PS3 I dont even care as I have other games I will play too.

13. devdevil85

Veles, you're taking my statement(s) too literally. I'm generalizing on the idea that PS3 owners are more likely to be loyal (and by loyal I mean, would go out and purchase a console only for GTA and is someone who has played GTA since PS1) GTA fans than 360 based on the attach-rate #'s, total overall sales and the past relation that the GTA series has with the PS brand. I feel that because of those things, alone, Rockstar should feel (at the very least) obligated on an ethical/loyal level to atleast bring some sort of worthy DLC to the PS3.

When I said Playstation made GTA, what I meant was Playstation (not just the console in terms of HW, but the owners/fans as well) is what allowed the GTA series to thrive, versus it being released on PC or another less-worthy console at the time. Without PS, there would've been much less of a community and all I'm saying is that GTA really started off on the PS and for Rockstar to "forget" about that and to only give DLC to 360 and take the money, to me, (if I was a PS3 owner) would be an insult.

I didn't mean to say that no 360 owners are "loyal/true" fans, just that PS3 (based on the #'s) shows to have more which to me merits some sort of "worthy" DLC to give to the fans (and not just give it to 360 only) again that's my opinion on it.

Last edited: 16 May 2008
  14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah the PS3 should definitely get DLC, but it all depends on the details on the contract with MS really.

15. devdevil85

Don't get me wrong, MS wanted GTA IV more than Sony did, that was proven in the $50 million deal and advertising campaigns, but keeping all DLC exclusive to 360 will really make me hate MS (as a company) even more, but then again Rockstar is the one who signed the contract.....

16. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Errr what the hell are you talking about? I had a PS1 and a PS2 and got all the GTA games on those systems. Did I have an Xbox? Nope. Do I have a PS3? Nope. Do I have a 360 and did I get GTA4 on release day, yep. Would I get GTA4 on the PS3 over the 360 if I had both systems? Nope. I like Xbox Live and achievements so it was no contest.. I would have purchased a 360 (it's cheaper) for GTA4 if I didn't have one already; not a PS3. Will I get the DLC content? Probably.

How could a PS3 owner be any more "loyal" than me? And do you realise now the irrelevance of the term "loyal" in this situation?

17. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I think the "loyalty" stance is somewhere in the vein of "I've bought the PS1/PS2 and now PS3. They have no right to say I bought the wrong console for DLC!"; see fanboy.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Ive read this through

People who love microsoft need to wake up

Microsoft are a bad company who only care about 1 thing

PROFIT

Take vista or windows server as prime examples both buggy peaces of crap that if you have to work with on a daily basis ( i do ) then you would hate microsoft for all it stands for.

I own a 360 its been sent back 4 times ( imba ) Quality control and not a rushed release would of solved 90% of all issues.
    i own a ps3 never broke
    i own a good pc ( i built it myself no issues)

I dont like sony much either.

Rockstar will do what is right if they have any ideas of selling future products.

Gta4 was a huge disapointment for me. Expected alot bigger things. Instead all you get is mass pop up and other issues. (freezing been one of them) ( waits for release of gta 4 vice city or whatever they call it. )

hardware sales wise are like

800 units for (50 million dollars well done microsoft) (62500 dollars per unit sold loss)

PSP DS WII all still outselling both supposed next gen consoles.

19. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

My 360 hasn't had any problems and it's a refurb.

And uh, what is Microsoft supposed to care about? Selling products as cheaply as possible? Weaving trees out of happy puppies? Wake up, welcome to business.

What's "Right" means nothing here. I'll support R* taking a "moral position" when Gran Turismo and Metal Gear come to my 360.

20. kempez

kempez modding again!

I love it when people accuse companies of only loving profit. It's like saying people only breathe so they can live :p

That's a real revelation to me: imagine a private company wanting profit? Goddamn it I was going to donate to the charity that is Nintendo then, until I realised that they too, are also a private company

To quote Team America: "jeesus titty f***ing christ" :sigh:

Anyway: rant over. It would be nice to see some DLC for the PS3, but the game is so huge I doubt I'll be wanting any more :) If it's really cool stuff I'll go and grab a 2nd hand Xbox 360 copy....damn does that make me a fanboy? :duh: :hip:

Tags: Add Tags