1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony site offers up malware

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Jul 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I automatically run my browser in paranoid mode. :p

What I find stunning is that people are foolish enough to fall for this sort of nonsense. If I want an antivirus, I'll go looking for one myself! - I won't use one that was advertised in a popup on a site that is completely unrelated to antivirus programs. Honestly, it wouldn't hurt the average web user to engage their brain before clicking 'Yes' to everything.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

if you fall for that then you are a ****ing idiot and dont deserve to be on the net.

just like most of the general population.

4. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I disagree with the above. I know a lot of people whose knowledge of the workings of the internet and computers in general is pretty low and would (and have many times) fallen for these antics.
    besides that, yay for the NoScript plugin for firefox.

5. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

In this case, then, the saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me," applies. Someone who doesn't know better - ie: the first time... fair enough, I feel sorry for them. Second time onwards... is there a lesson there that should be learned? Hm?

It all comes down to common sense. You don't have to be computer literate to display common sense... it just seems to be something that is sadly lacking in most people nowadays.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

*sneeze*rootkits*sneeze*

7. bowman

bowman Minimodder

Sony sappin' mah PC.. They want me to buy a PS3 instead. :eek:

8. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Wow, the reality is that we really need an Internet browsing license or some certification of some kind, for our own sake.

9. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I'm actually very lax with my browser...

I should probably tighten up, but I really couldn't care much less.. I never get any problems.. probably because I rarely browse dodgy pages.

10. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

How is the operating system related to this? I find switching operating system to be an extreme solution. They could easily do this to a Linux site, with scripts that pop-up asking you to download Linux specific stuff. Nothing here is Windows related.

11. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

It does have to be said, from the screenshot above, that window looks quite convincingly like a windows prompt. For n00b users who don't know any better, how could they really tell that's not an alert from Windows? Especially with Windows Defender on Vista popping up things like this from time to time.

12. TurtlePerson2

TurtlePerson2 What's a Dremel?

The sad thing is that most people would fall for something like this. My mother once downloaded one of these things 15 times trying to install it. Fortunately she was on a Mac and the program was written for Windows.

13. Colt 45 J

Colt 45 J Aye

I have my own antivirus, firewall, and antispyware, I would never trust any stupid windows warning logo on it, windows protection is crap. If it was a popup, and not from my antivirus I would know its not real.. how stupid can you get?

14. Major

Major Guest

Of course everyone on here is going to say "idiots who click it" because this is a ****ing tech site for crying out loud, everyone on here knows a lot more than the average PC user.

15. ParaHelix.org

ParaHelix.org What's a Dremel?

If anyone is stupid enough to accept an "Online security scan" then they deserve all the s**t they get lol.

Tags: Add Tags