1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia releases PhysX for 8, 9 and GTX 2xx series

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Aug 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Soul Calibur 4, DoA 4, <insert fighting game with special boob physics here> :D

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

WTB Boob Physics Card.

4. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

2.7Gb???

i hope there's an option to grab just the driver lol

but uh, what im really personally waiting is the ability to use 2nd graphic card as dedicated processor tho............ bleh.........

5. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Even if it's a little old now, I think HL2 still has the best use of physics in a game.

6. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Will the UT3 mod make all the female characters boobs bouncey?

7. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

Are you 100% certain on this? I'm sure when I was reading up on this last night I found a guy on a forum who was using a 8800GT as a dedicated physics card which boosted his Vantage benchmark considerably? I'll try and see if I can dig it up (blast regualrly cleaning my browsing history!).

EDIT:

Found another one anyway here. Looks like it's working okay there?

8. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

I think most people would agree with you there. Hopefully HL3 (and whatever engine it uses) will push it even further.

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

tested most of the demo, meh. UT3 maps: meh. and Crazy Machine 2 still won't let me play PhsyX levels :(

anyone know how good is the transcoder? because it's 30 day trail, i want to have a large amount of video before installing it.
    (at the moment, don't need to transcode anything as a single night have transcoded all stuff i want into iPhone format on quad core)

10. Timmy_the_tortoise

You've tried it? Frame-rate hits?

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

for which game?

UT3 normal maps: no, UT3 physX maps, couldn't play it before, so can't comment.

12. Timmy_the_tortoise

I just meant in general.. Since some of the GPU is used for PhysX now, I guessed there may be frame-rate drops..

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Thanks for the heads up, we'll test this out and check back when we've confirmed

14. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

You've had 15 mins Harry, I need answers!

Can I use, say, a 9600 GT as a PhysX card alongside my 4870 or not eh?

15. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

Agreed. Crysis could have gone so much further with the power behind their engine, I was really disappointed by that

16. Ninja_182

Ninja_182 Enginerd!

I never really saw much use for additional physics acceleration in games. HL2 made adequate use of physics. No game requires the simultaneous exploding of 3000 barrels. Will be interesting to see HL3 or maybe just Ep3's use of physics but I doubt it will require additional acceleration, especially when CPUs themselves are enough.

It would make more sense if AMD and Intel got together and did the same thing for Havok. That way we have it standardized across platforms, not just a stupid scenario where you have to have one manufacturers hardware or you cant have it.

17. wharrad

wharrad Minimodder

I'm going to guess that these will work along side the older dedicated PhysX cards?

I say that, as I'm with Hugo, more an ATI man (multi-monitor you see). Those dedicated cards are pretty cheap now if Overclockers still stock them, and I'm going to hazard a guess that Vista's WDDM drivers are not going to like Nvidia and ATI at the same time... And I actually sort of like Aero (Should I admit that?).

18. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

No probs :thumb:.

It leaves an interesting question though. Can the PhysX driver be installed "stand alone" from the Nvidia package? If so, it would be interesting to whack a Nvidia 8+ series in a rig with an ATi card and CCC, install the PhysX driver and see how you get on.

I'm reasonably sure that it won't work and that the PhysX driver won't allow the Nvidia card to perform solely physics calcs without the appropriate Nvidia drivers in place but hey, it's got to be worth a try for the hell of it no?

19. Irvine

Irvine What's a Dremel?

I'm glad they're adding the physics processing now. Maybe they'll be able to standardize it soon, if ATI follows suit in some sort of fashion.

Plus, a Folding@home client for nVidia GPUs?! That's huge!

20. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Can't help but feel sorry for the few folks who bravely decided to support a new hardware direction by splashing out £150ish on a dedicated physics card only to have their cash effectively incinerated in front of them with the nVidia/Ageia merger/takover. Mind you, can anyone name any more than five games that used the Ageia cards?

It's the kind of bad experience that puts people off investing in new ideas and directions in case they end up with a hole in their wallet and a pointless bit of hardware.

Tags: Add Tags