1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Manhunt 2 gets UK release date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I.. Could have lived without the UK release, to be honest.

I think I'm growing out of the violence-for-the-sake-of-violence addiction :(

3. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I hope it rot!

hmpf!

no PC release!... That's outrageous!

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

does anyone over 15 really care about manhunt 2?

5. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i think they banned it for the right reasons, no one with even half a brain should enjoy violence just for the sake of it. random running arounnd with a gun soon gets boring on gta, so i wouldnt buy a whole game about it

6. evil_mart

evil_mart How Did I Get Here?

I might of 'acquired' the psp version off the Internet. :)

Ive played a lot of the violent for the sake of it games (except Manhunt 1). and even i was shocked.

Its supprising to see how needlessly brutal it really was, the story just sets you up in different places with flimsy excuses to kill people quite needlessly and brutally.

I doubt the game could stand up without the 'i was banned for ultraviolence' tag, Again I bet all the 13 year olds will be rushing out for this.

7. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Manhunt has always been the kind of game that is worth renting and that is about it. It is cool to see how far they go, but it gets repetitive real quick. And with no real story, what reason do you have to keep playing?

Just get GTA4.

8. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Wii, PSP and PS2. I can't see this looking particularly pretty.

9. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

I don't care if it was super violent, I didn't want to play it anyway, but no game should ever be banned. Freedom of speech should trump all.

10. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

violent - yes
    fun - no

I got this game for the PSP and I didn't like it at all.

11. BlackMage23

BlackMage23 RPG Loving Freak

Take Two made this to get it banned, they knew it was a shallow game and just put it out to get head lines.
    I bet if it was not in the news it would not have sold half of what it has.

12. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

pretty much agree with you, I can't believe at first how shallow it was, a game made primarily just for gore, reminded me of the now boring zombie (or apocalyptic tragedy something) movies that come out one after another,lol

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I see blatant censorship is still alive and well in the UK...

I mean who cares if someone might enjoy it, lets ban it for everyone to be safe! :duh:

*epic facepalm*

(for the record i don't like the game either, i just don't believe in media being banned because somebody has an issue with it)

14. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I personally don't care if someone else would enjoy it. Setting out to make the MOST brutal gory violent game possible, with no other merits or context is wrong in my opinion. I can't imagine a reason someone would want to play it that I wouldn't also find wrong, and with the additional wii mote actions... I'm no fan of censorship, but society does have to set standards somewhere, this is a reasonable place for them.

15. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Just because *you* don't like it, does that mean you should decide for everyone else that *they* can't play it? And please don't bring up any 'violent games leads to real violence' as there's no evidence of that unless one makes their own parallels.

Personally the game doesn't interest me -- not because I'm against violence - it just ain't my cup of tea. But just because I don't like it, I'd never say other's can't make up their own minds on whether they should be able to play it.

What if a group of people didn't like a film about the absurdity of religion? Should that be 'banned' and no one else allowed to watch it for fear it might suddenly convert loads of religious people into atheists?

People should be allowed the choice, to make the decision for themselves.

Oh, and before any parents go off on the whole, "what about the children" issue -- if you're real, capable parents, you'll do your job and parent your children and not leave it to the govt, society or media to do it for you :p

16. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Great, that's your opinion -- but why should that affect me or anyone else's ability to freely choose to play it? Why is your sense or morality so important that it outweight's another individual's freedom to choose? :eyebrow:

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

General public opinion dictates that there has to be a line drawn somewhere in terms of censorship. What if the game was the same except involved the brutalised murder of children? What if again it allowed the brutalised rape and murder of children? Is that ok? As you stated previously, "And please don't bring up any 'violent games leads to real violence' as there's no evidence of that" so likewise, there shouldn't be any correlation between the rape and murder of children in RL and this game. A game which can't directly harm children... is it still ok to sell it, or do you admit censorship should be used in this case? If you think that adults should still freely be able to choose to play it I have lost this argument, but I'm glad the majority society is on my side for now :)

18. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

@Mentai

Ah, i was waiting for that extreme type of example :) Personally, I couldn't care less with a game depicts that sort of brutality -- again, not really my sort of game and i suspect, not for many others either.

I agree, that perhaps *some* topics are too much for the general public to absorb and take in (i.e., as you made ref to, things that deal with kids -- personally the less of the street corner scum the better, but hey-ho) but that example was quite extreme.

I do recall years ago, letting a mate's girlfriend watch a level or two of "Quake" on the PC -- and she went white when she saw the zombie dogs being fragged by my shotgun. I tried to explain that a) it's not real and b) they're zombies -- they need to be eliminated. But she wasn't having any of it -- she was confusing fantasy with reality -- which I wasn't. I know the difference.

And that is the crux of the problem -- the people in the world who cannot distinguish between reality and fantasy.

Plus, my mate's gf didn't even have a zombie plan, as most girls don't. ;)

19. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

If you want to "think of the children" stick a 18 rating on it and bloody enforce them! Adults have the ability to decide whether or not to purchase things there is no need to sensor items for bad taste since adults should have the ability to decide for them selves.

The market should censor crap like this if its not profitable it won't be made if it is profitable then a sizeable enough number in the games market has decided the game is worth owning and fits to within their range of acceptable taste. If an individual doesn't like it, tough you don't have the right not to be offended you do have the right not to decide to purchase the game.

20. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

@mmorgue

Haha, zombie plans, why men are superior to women :p

And yes the example was quite extreme, but I was making the point nearly everyone has some sense of morality, and just because you can easily dismiss the correlation between media content and peoples action, it doesn't mean others more conservative morality is wrong. When I stated my opinion, it was just that, a single opinion. I wasn't actually trying to argue anything, or say that the game should be banned, just that I thought it was a good point at which to consider banning. But if the majority hold my opinion, then yes it should be banned, that to me is democracy. I see no need in media which society deems detrimental to itself.

I think you'll disagree with that as well, and I'm not so great at getting my thoughts across, so I hope we can just agree to disagree on this topic :)

Tags: Add Tags