1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News LucasArts, BioWare unveil Star Wars MMO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Oct 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Yay, I'm glad they finally announced the kotor MMO haha. I wonder how good this will be though, it is quite ambitious to make an MMO let alone promise decent story for what should amount to weeks of play. I wish them the best of luck. I think I would prefer the next Mass Effect first though, that storyline was awesome :D

3. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Sorry, the correct answer is not Jedi Knight II. Although it had its moments, the original Jedi Knight is far superior in almost every area. Level design, story, presentation, artwork, gameplay, multiplayer gameplay, mod support, etc. The only areas where Outcast is superior are in AI and lightsaber combat, but I think we can cut JK a little 1997 slack on those.

I mean seriously, Jedi Outcast had some simply horrific level design. The entire Doomgiver segment could be used in a class titled "How not to design levels."

Anyway... I would rather have had KotOR 3, but a KotOR MMO might work out. It's the only era where it's reasonable to have thousands upon thousands of Jedi. It would be nice if it were more than just a big Jedi vs Sith battle, however.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Why? Who'd want to play a non-Force role? Half the fun of playing Star Wars games is the ability to be able to use the force.
    If George Lucas and Lucasfilm have anything to do with this, you can bet that any story will suck big time and will sound like it was written by a ten-year old. I'm hoping that BioWare get more input into the story arcs than Lucas does.

Of course, a Star Wars MMO is Lucas' ultimate dream: the ability to put out a half-formed story and fleece people on a continuous basis.

Or am I just a cynic?

5. CardJoe

I love correcting you. Outcast is ACTUALLY Jedi Knight 3, not 2. It's common mistake which I love being a pedant about. The first game in the series was called Dark Forces and ran on the BUILD engine. The second game was called Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. The third game however saw the series retroactively retitled as Dark Forces was unknown to most people, but Jedi Knight was not. Thus, the full run of the series is actually:

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces (BUILD engine)
    Jedi Knight II
    Jedi Knight II: Mysteries of the Sith (expansion)
    Jedi Knight III: Outcast

And, by that count, we actually agree :)

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

As much as I loved both KOTOR games (KOTOR2 is installed and I play it from time to time) and enjoy BioWare games as whole I really hope this one is a grand fiasco. LucasArts deserve it for the crap they spit on the PC gamers faces with Force Unleashed.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Me, i want to fly big ships with big guns.... and stuff.

Sam

8. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

No, and that's the reason I will be avoiding this :p

9. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

What a shockingly horrible website, how companies get away with making such un-accessible tripe is beyond me.

10. MajestiX

MajestiX What's a Dremel?

milking it since 1969?

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Will I need a $5000 PC to play this i wonder?

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

WRONG! Sorry Joe, but wrongy wrongy wrong. You're right, the first game (Dark Forces) was simply called Dark Forces. The second game was called Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight, but most people just know it as Jedi Knight. The third game was simply called Jedi Knight 2: Outcast, or to give it it's full implied title, Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Outcast.

Whilst you're right, it is the third game in the Dark Forces series, it's still the second Jedi Knight game, not the third. There are only two Jedi Knight games. Dark Forces 1 had nothing to do with Jedis, not a lighsaber in sight. Therefor I am afraid you fail. Epicly.

13. CardJoe

Same character, early part of the storyline = Dark Force is part of the Jedi Knight story and was thus subject to the retroactive rename. :p

14. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I can't wait for this MMO to float, so that these Star Bores (can you see what I did there??) have a place to go to argue about Star Wars minutae! ;)

15. roshan

roshan What's a Dremel?

This should be a MMORPG. MMO ? i am confused.Because Bioware up to now produced great RPGs.Last one was Mass Effect and it was supperb.

16. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i love Jedi Knight series and old school SWG... yknow, the one u gotta wait for months and had a share on the devil's luck to get a force-sensitive slot?

now that's the ****.

if OldRepublic comes out with an easy button and becomes post-NGE SWG but with better graphic and different story.... it will die.

old-skool SWG is the best. pvp. crafting. story. area design. char progression. (almost) perfect.

<- Bria's #2 Jedi server-wide pre-NGE.

17. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I loved dark forces one of the few star wars games i played a ton and enjoyed it. I would love to be able to play it again. It had the graphics of duke nukem but it was star wars amazing game.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

And breathing heavy through a respirator in sweaty plastic helmets! :hehe:
    And girls with over-elaborate hair.
    And aliens that speak in a variety of yells, whines, clicks and gurgles but are nevertheless perfectly understandable!
    And making 70 zilion clones of yourself without ending up with 70 zilion megalomaniacs!
    And ignoring glaring plotholes while racing at 1000mph through a valley in HD!

there's a lot more to do in the old republic then just waving a cathode around whilst pretending not to make the whizzing sound yourself!

i think i'll try this game, if it gets more then 3 out of the 5 points above, i'll rate it a 9 :lol:

19. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

No, Dark Forces ran on the JEDI engine, an in-house engine developed by LucasArts. BUILD didn't even show up for another couple of years. Jedi Knight ran on the SITH engine, another in-house LucasArts engine. Jedi Outcast and Academy ran on a modified Quake 3 created by Raven.

Uh, what the ****? Don't know what you're talking about. DF was never retroactively renamed. Ever.

This is correct:

Dark Forces
    Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
    Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
    Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Academy

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm getting this. Now I can stop chasing my dog with a forceFX saber.

Tags: Add Tags