1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe previews 64-bit Flash

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 19 Nov 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So you get fancy flash64 inside a 32bit browser.. wow!

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

:confused: Your browser would also be 64bit on a 64bit Linux system.

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

no, the primary reason nobody uses a 64bit version of their chosen browser is theres no 64bit flash plugin
    how about you try RTFA?

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Nice! Tho I've never really come round to install a 64bit version of an OS on my box.

6. crispy

crispy What's a Dremel?

Can't wait till they have the Windows version. Finally the world realizes that there are 64bit hardware and operating systems.

The 32bit Flash refuses to install with IE64bit and is a battle to install with IE32bit on XP64. Of course there is no problem using 32bit Flash with FireFox and XP64.

7. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

about bloody time really, what took them so long???!!!!!!

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

9. deltaworld

deltaworld What's a Dremel?

When will the day when everything is 64-bit.. This move in technology is moving so slowly. You can definately see it move but it is just taking it's time. If I remember rightly, the move from 16-bit to 32-bit was a much more sudden move.

As you can see now more and more PC builders are building PC's and installing Vista 64-bit as default to support the 4GB+ RAM that the spec comes with due to RAM being so cheap now. Plus more and more applications are needing high RAM usage so 64-bit will be the norm. We can see that Photoshop CS4 on windows is 64-bit native and hopefully the whole of CS5 will be 64-bit native in the future.

Games: Again this is taking forever. But we can see the developers of Crysis have been at the forefront at this with Crysis and Far Cry running natively on 64-bit.

Come on developers, stop faffing about and just start developing the applications for 64 bit and everyone will move to 64-bit.

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

about fluffing time tbh, at least it appears to be working, went to try you tube as thats one of the few places that I need flash, and its loading slowly but thats a different issue

11. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Too little, way too late... I hate flash, and this isn't going to change it...

If you need flash on a website to achieve an effect, you overdid it and lost my interest...

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Cheers, Ian - awesome link. That'll come in handy when I get around to trying it!

13. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

This has always been my opinion as well. There are certainly pages which look very nice because of their use of flash, but they tend to be harder to use rather than easier. Aside from running slowly, pages done entirely in flash destroy long-held navigation conventions. Want to send a friend a link to a particular page? No, sorry. I also tend to open several links in tabs as I read through a page, and go to each subpage in turn, rather than using forward/back navigation. This is impossible with flash. Yes, my usage is atypical. However, as my usage is perfectly acceptable within longstanding internet conventions, it isn't fair to break it.

That aside, it's good to hear about any software finally being introduced in 64-bit versions. It's not entirely necessary for many programs, as most tasks don't benefit a great deal from 64-bit processing, but as long as the change doesn't actually slow things down it's a perfectly admirable goal.

14. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

64bit flash? Hold on Adobe, I think you're jumping the gun a bit- you sure the market's ready for it?

Tags: Add Tags