1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD still insisting on its ACP rating

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Is it just me or is there some logic missing from that, They are moving from a standard that isnt measured by anyone in quite the same way to a standard that isnt measured by anyone else AT ALL to give customers a better comparisson?

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

But AMD has always done this. Remember, they were the first CPU company to drop raw speeds from their chip names in favour of a number that somehow related to the computing power of that CPU.

Still, I'd like to see some kind of standardisation brought to the market - preferably something like TDPmax & average TDP, where the average is always taken at a certain processor load, say 30% or 50% - in much the same way that mpg figures that car manufacturers use are measured at certain speeds.

4. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

It's all marketing rubbish. I want two ratings:
    PPD - Peak Power Draw - the maximum amount of power the CPU could possibly draw.
    PTO - Peak Thermal Output - the maximum amount of heat the CPU could ever need dissipating.

5. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Why not just power/floating point calcs to give a useless figure for dumbies? :>

Last edited: 6 Feb 2009
  6. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Those are the same =P

Anyhow, I'm not too concerned about it. There are enough review sites out there that I can find a site using the CPU I want to buy with cooling similar to what I am going to use to get an idea of what my temps should be like.

7. identikit

identikit Minimodder

That's because you couldn't compare the clock speeds of those AMD CPUs to Intel CPUs. That was a smart move by AMD to ensure people had a decent comparison between brands. But this is ridiculous.

8. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

They've obviously done the math and found that their numbers don't measure up to Intel's.

If they had better numbers, they'd be rubbing them in Intel's face.

9. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Thats more than likely the case, all there R&D has come to a point where its no where near the competion.

I do like where AMD is going tho, chipset is produced by them, CPU and GPU aswell.

So a well built driver and app could throttle a computer down for power saving really effectively.

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I never thought anything of the power rating of processors. It is pretty meaningless except for HTPCs and Laptops, standard computers and especially Gaming rigs don't need to worry about heat too much as they can have the proper cooling systems to remove the heat, this is my opinion and for others it does make a difference. Especially in a server enviroment.

11. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Tell that to anyone who has tried to overclock a modern amd cpu and killed a motherboard (looking at you bindi haha) because the board is only rated to the power draw stated by amd rather than its true tdp especially when overclocked, it frys motherboards something fierce when your cpu is rated at a reported say 125w but it drawing more and your board that is rated for 140w tops can't handle the true draw especially when you get into black edition overclocking

12. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

I would say, why would you overclock it when you know the motherboard can't bear the TDP? Its like shooting on your own foot LOL :p That's why a regular motherboard don't overclock well if compared to overclocker's motherboards. Because when you're overclocking, you need a better components to bear the higher power draw and the higher thermal dissipation. A TDP measured with the processor running in standard clock-speed, when you overclock it, the TDP will rise exponentially (IIRC) so you need a motherboard specialized for overclockers.

13. SuperNova

SuperNova What's a Dremel?

That is exactly what AMDs TDP refers to. The maximum power draw @ maximum voltated (the cpu is designed for and run at). Intel on the other hand bases the it's TDP on testing the cpu under real world scenarios and get an average from that.

Basically AMD basically gives us the theoretical upper limit while intel gives us the upper limit for "regular-real world use".

14. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i can't believe there is no website on the whole world wide wastedump (w²w²) that compares cpus on a reliable manner?

15. willyolio

willyolio What's a Dremel?

max TDP (i.e. full load) is useful to know for design concerns.

ACP is good to know for professionals because AVERAGE power consumption helps them calculate the TCO over several years.

Tags: Add Tags