1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs My New Game: Space Battles

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Sounds good... One potential customer on board already :p

3. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Yes!
    I always liked this aspect of one of the football manager games - you do the prep, and then watch as all your plans go to poopy when something you didn't account for happens.
    I never played them though, as I hate foopball with a passion.

Space battles though.... ohhh, Just Win.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Yes! Yes, yes, yes! I like the concept a lot.

Basically, you just make a configuration, and then click go, for better or worse? It would be absolutely awesome if you could make this game multiplayer, if only 1 vs 1. That would make ita guaranteed LAN-hit for some big-screen awesomeness! :D

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

First off, Cliff, I should just point out that I hate chocolate biscuits. In fact, I hate chocolate, full stop.
    But I realise I'm probably in the minority there ;)

Where space battle are concerned, though, I'm with you on this one: the more, the merrier. Just one request, please: lots, and lots (and a few more, just for luck) of spaceships, please.

Space battles just aren't any fun to watch if there's only a few ships.

It's well known that enjoyment of a space battle is exponentially proportional to the number of ships involved - that's a gaming fact.

As long as there are plenty of ships, you have yourself another customer.

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

lol fibblebot, you a big homeworld fan by any chance? ;)

7. CowBlazed

CowBlazed What's a Dremel?

Great idea for a game. Would be nice if there was still a few things to do during the battle as well tho, maybe any special abilties or just barking orders to your captains as you and your flagship go down in a blaze of glory.

8. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I have a theory that big explosions = awesome game, just look a Burnout 3

In all seriousness it's a great feeling to be able to explode things on whim, especially if it's achieving a goal. I have a feeling it's to do with a.) how powerfull you feel, b.) pretty explosions and c.) humans facination with physics.

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Sounds fun to me, yeah for blowing **** up. :clap:

10. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Well, I am a big fan of space battles. :)

This sounds somewhat like Battleships forever though (build a ship or ships, send them against another ship or ships, watch what happens) albeit probably with better graphics. ;)

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Sounds very good!

The closest thing to what you're describing, i think, is Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Which was a good game, even if the story line was lacking. Wish you luck with it.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Sooo, no flying personally?

13. MG Man

MG Man What's a Dremel?

YES! +1 customer for that game here.

watch action unfolding from any number of places, like on board squadron leader's ship, from the battlest... uhhh mothership, or even from the plan diagram, with stats. Oooh the stats!

would like the ability to at least pilot one ship tho...

14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Sounds great! Will there be modding tools available? It'd make a great engine for LoGH or Macross mods (Homeworld 2 gets very sluggish if you throw in too many units, and Sins of a Solar Empire has all that extraneous 4X malarkey).

15. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

I like the concept. I guess you should take a peek at Hearts of Iron II for some benchmarking. HoI2 follows that concept WW2-style. You still have resources, but it's quite different. You don't see the battles, but you send the divisions into combat, tell them to support, and the result shows as a bar that can go either way.
    It's good for those moments like your recent blog post, but I must admit I can get itchy for a Day of Defeat match and play WW2 at the FPS level to cover the gap.

I like chocolate biscuits, but I'm not much of a space fan. I guess I'm fond of historic warfare.. That's if you don't consider the Star Wars plot ever actually happened, of course. It was a long long time ago, but in a galaxy far far away!

Tags: Add Tags