1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EFF launches Surveillance Self-Defence

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Mar 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Florian

Florian Minimodder

Educating people about protecting their privacy online isn't a bad thing. The article sounds a bit like the old "having nothing to hide" argument.

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

4. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

@Tyrmot
    That's a good read, thanks.

Personally I have lots of things to hide and I'm not afraid to say it. I use encryption whenever possible (almost all my HDDs are connected through hardware encrypters that give double 3DES treatment to all my data), most of my network activity is heavily encrypted (if possible), I also use multi-level firewalls and generate "white noise" in network communication.

Most people don't understand that protecting privacy is not equal to being a terrorist. I have a small company that provides specific, highly confidential network services so I need a little paranoia, but other than that I wouldn't like anyone snooping around my data - even if it would be completely usual. Some governments go way too far with surveillance.

If I was a terrorist than I would understand and take into account the fact that every wall can have eyes and acknowledge the government's right to fight me in every possible way. But since I'm not a terrorist, I pay my taxes on time and in full, i do not give them the right to snoop around what I do, unless they can prove anything. Easy as that.

Not that my government is really interested in what I do. Thankfully I live in a country that doesn't care what you do unless you cross a line, so the worst i see here are some marketing companies wanting to know my habits, some script kiddies trying to screw with my arp and sometimes competition stealing my encrypted HDDs.

5. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

paranoid ? or very important data :)

must admit i should be encrypting my hdds the amount of TV i have got on there not sure the legality of that (the HD stuff is very likely not legal as thats all US stuff as we do not get HD tv programs in the uk (or first any way) US do norm 3 weeks ahead), as i do not sell or even use p2p apps cant see it been an problem that much

TV/cable stations are missing out on ad supported TV shows thay should of been doing them an long time ago (4-5 yrs) just popup an not so anoying ad Before the start of the show with option to skip say after 5 secs (http://www.joost.com is an good idea works well when thay keep on adding stuff to it)

Last edited: 6 Mar 2009
  6. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Our government passes laws and it required to tell us what they are so that we can protect ourselves. Knowing how to secure out data from that same government is an exercise of our rights on our private property. As long as our data is constitutionally protected as private property we have a right do defend it from anyone that wants to sue it against us. People have a right to self incrimination this would do well to be extended to our data though effective protection methods.

Tags: Add Tags