1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Your folding team needs you

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 20 May 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Thanks for posting the news item James :thumb:

3. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Honestly I never done folding :X

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

ok under CPChimps.. I can help on and off folding on the gpu- I used to fold some.. just installed the new client without fahmon.. just tell me when you guys don't get the monkey paw XD so I can go back and uninstall this crap

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 May 2009
  5. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I'm currently folding a very small amount while awaiting the cash to upgrade my folding boxes, but I can cheerlead :p

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I haven't been folding for a few months now. But just this minute started again. Needed this reminder.

7. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

ok, i have been doing a little folding now and again, but i wanna know this: has folding actually shown tangible results and actually cured anything?

I'm not for a moment suggesting its a bad cause at all, i just wanna know if its the sort of thing that needs a long time to cure one disease or if it just provides a load of data or what, just curious :D

good luck! it is a worthy cause!

8. ForumNameHere

ForumNameHere What's a Dremel?

OK, just for y'all 'cause I like your site so much. I'm up and running but with a quesiton: do I have to do anything special to make sure my gpus are helping? Install gave me the option to tinker with my cpu but no gpu options.

9. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

10. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

ok, noob to the folding team here, its running but only using 25% of the cpu so how do i make it do more, i changed the setting to use 100% of the cpu or something similar.

and where is the gpu client, Captain noob over here couldnt find it, so if anyone can help that would be great, lets get folding

peace

fatman

11. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

It be here:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther

It's referred to as the High Performance Beta client, hidden away at the bottom of the main client download page. Happy folding!

12. ForumNameHere

ForumNameHere What's a Dremel?

OK, I seem to have gotten it up and running on a couple of systems. 21700 since my last post if I'm doin' my cyphering correctly. I was thinking about letting this thing run all night, but I have to say I'm a bit nervous about letting my video card run at 99% and 88 degrees all night. Anyone else doing it?

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Switched to the CPChimps name and trying to get the GPU client working on my laptop.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'm still not convinced that folding is anything more than wasting electricity in exchange for epeen. and with 6 rep bars, what the hell do i need more epeen for?

15. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Is there an easy way to run multiple clients on one box? I've got a raft of 8 core Mac Pros running boot camp that could run this easly but I tried it on one and 1 process only used a mediocer amount of CPU.

Also, if it's set up on one box, can you just move the folder to another and run it? (could have 20 8 core machines helping out)

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

You can run multiple instances of F@H on one machine, or get the SMP client which runs on multiple cores.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Use the VMWARE guide in the folding forum

18. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

K will see what I can do.

19. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

A conservative estimate based on total number of GPUs assigned to the project would suggest about 10,000 other people are doing it. The only thing you've got to worry about is the heat output into your room. These cards are easily capable of sustaining full load for (at least) months at a time.

Well, what would it take to convince you otherwise. I guess the 60-or-so peer-reviewed scientific papers (which incidentally is far more than any other DC project) produced from the results wouldn't? It's also telling that the default team (which is set if you don't change any settings) has submitted more data to the project than the top 8 teams combined.

If you can run the Macs in OS X you can install the native SMP client which will be faster than VMWare and has the bonus of you not needing to use Windows :p As far as moving the folders around, yes-and-no, it depends which client you installed, and how.

20. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Does running the GPU client actually only use the GPU or will the GPU just assist and the CPU also get used?
    If it only uses the GPU can a second client be run to also utilise the CPU?

Tags: Add Tags