1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits How to set up Folding@home

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 17 Jun 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

I know folding@home is for a good cause and all, but is having your PC running full whack all the time not hard on your wallet, lecky style?!

3. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

I agree with PT88. It's a noble cause but I can't afford to do this.

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Article needs more disclaimer imo, TV style "make sure you have permission from the bill payer"...

5. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Although you can look at the text log files each client produces, a better method is to use a third-party application such as [eurl=http://fahmon.net ]FahMon[/eurl]

i guess there is something wrong

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

My house has electric central heating, so I run FAH whenever I'm at home during the winter, as it makes sense to me to be doing something useful with the power before it gets dumped into the room as heat - basically using my PC and PS3 as heaters. In the summer, though, I don't fold - electricity is too expensive; I don't believe in leaving electrical goods on more than necessary; and my place gets hot enough as it is without adding to it!

7. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Fixed, thanks. Tiny typo...

8. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

I just turn it on when I'm doing other things. My pc would be on most of the day and I haven't really noticed much of a difference bill-wise using one core for folding and carrying on with email, browsing,etc on the other.

9. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Frankly excellent article James. I tried setting up F@H a few times, and ran in to so many problems, with fixes hard to find, that I just gave up.

Everything needed is nice and tidy in this article. Well done.

10. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Nice write-up, thanks for the guide. I've now got started with my local PC and two 24/7 servers - configured to contribute to the bit-tech/cpc team of course!.

That FAHMon tool is pretty sweet too, I was a bit confused by it at first as I was pointing it to the F@H directory and it wasn't picking up the client - but that wasn't where the FAHlog.txt file was. Found it in the C:\Users\%NAME%\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-x86 (example path is from Windows 7).

11. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

W00t what a complicated setup! I already set mine up before reading the artical. Turns out I did some things wrong.

But why is it better to run SMP compared to 2 regular clients? Plz explain.

12. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

In short - you'll get far more points per day running an SMP client on a dual-core CPU than two standard CPU clients.

13. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

When you guys all complain of hot summers, you arent thinking of people who live in heat all the time. Here in Singapore a cool day would be 25-27 degrees. Hot will be like >30. Its usually in between.

14. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Pah! 30C is nothing, when I used to live in Dubai it was regularly 45C+ for a large part of the year. Now that I live in the UK again I can fold more easily (and use the farm to heat my house nicely too :) )

15. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

small disclaimer (and i might be wrong on this one but this is what i am getting) the smp client for Linux is for x64 only.

16. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Once I finish Trident, I plan to set up GPU folding on it, as it will have three video cards. However, I only have two monitors at the moment, and F@H requires each video card to have a monitor connected in order for it to recoqnize the card. Could you go over how to "fool" the folding client into thinking that there are more monitors plugged in? Some sort of wiring trick with the DVI port or something. Thanks!

17. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Connect the VGA cable from one of the monitors to the third gfx card? (assuming your 'using' DVI and they have both :p)

18. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

mmm. i don't see any particularly amazing science coming out of this. just a whole bunch of wasted power messing up the environment... and scant justification for that faster cpu, that new graphics card. bit of a weird obsession imo.

19. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

Define "amazing science"

20. uncle_fungus

uncle_fungus P/T Folding@home developer

I know this is probably a little late now, and I haven't compared this to the print article in issue 70 either, but there are several misnomers on page 4 of this article.

First, the -local flag is deprecated and does precisely nothing in the version 6 clients since the registry is no longer used to determine the working directory for the clients. -local is implicit in version 6.

Second, multiple console clients (of the same type) can be set up in exactly the same way as the system tray clients. You only need 1 executable which is shared by all clients. The "Start in" folder is what determines where the client actually works from.

Edit: Why can't I delete my own incompetent double-post?

Tags: Add Tags