1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS promises 18 months for XP downgrade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

*sigh* I just wish they would kill it off already.

3. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I can't see Microsoft lasting 18 months with out a service pack, but it should still give user more than the original 6, my guess would be a year.

Also, the link code in the article isn't working.

4. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

Microsoft can't survive on selling old XP Licenses... it's the only business in the world that gets criticised for pushing new products!

5. rollo

rollo Modder

microsoft have done quiet well outta xp . And vista sold alot more than people give it credit for( any high end gamer is on vista already)
    with windows 7 is the future i cant say. As what i tested was a redressed windows vista clone.

6. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I wouldn't call Win7 a Vista clone at all! It runs amazingly better, it's not just a cosmetic change.

7. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I was an XP diehard, now Vista has had its SP I'm preparing to install my other hard disk, stick Vista on it, and dual boot as it's counter-productive not to know what could be the standard later on. Like Vista, I'm not getting ripped off over Win 7 and will stay one OS behind until the price becomes acceptable to me (around £80 for an upgrade which is what I paid for Retail XP). In fact, making the most of Win 7 might mean a brand new build, as happened with Vista.

So I'm not bothered, the machine that's never going up from Win XP (as it's Socket A) isn't on the internet and that's what this is really all about.

8. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

I would also like to see the end of XP. I don't think they should support any new XP downgrades or any new xp purchase.

9. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

In fact, Windows 7 is a Vista clone ( almost ) . 99 percent of Windows 7 is actually Vista. Yes, it may run slightly better than Vista, but it is simply a tweaked Vista. Cosmetically, it is Vista. The engine is also Vista, just tweaked.

You have probably heard your fair share of Vista haters saying they will skip Vista and upgrade to Windows 7. Just tell them it's still Vista :)

10. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

NOOooo!
    If we use your logic, XP is NT3 (1993) at 99.999%. Is it, really? No, of course not!
    Win7 has the the same kernel as Vista, of course, and expect to see that for many coming up versions of Windows. What Win7 is an approved driver system, LOT'S of new feature, huge optimization work on the kernel, Aero and even the Shell (the interface not rendered by the GPU) and improvements such as better usability of multi-core CPU's (Vista made proper use to it, Win7 improves upon it).
    This reminds me back in early 2007... oh yea people said: "Vista is identical to XP with a stupid interface that requires a super computer to run and it eats up all my RAM! Plus it comes with absolute nothing... just an interface, What Microsoft was thinking! I am not going to cash out all this money for a new UI, I am sticking with XP". Such comment style is NOT OLD... You can easily find them just going back a few pages in the proper forum section.
    Do a a research on the web on what is new in Win7, and you should find a LOT of stuff, more than Vista in facts.. as the goal of Vista was a new kernel, which you have no idea how hyper complex, time consuming (remember when it was supposed to be out in 2003?), and from there you need to add everything that goes on top. Oh and also you have bugs fixes. If anyone wonders, it seams that Win7 has the view folder style memorization bug fixed, among many other things.

12. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

True. But out of XP and Windows 7, Windows Vista is relatively almost identical to W7. I am aware of the list of improvements in W7. I use both operating systems.

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I am loving Win7 SOOO MUCH I really dont see people downgrading, well maybe only the dumb/stupid, ignorant, and the ones really afraid of change but anyone with very basic computer skills will be able to use Win7, I mean MS has made it soooo easy to use, even setting up media sharing is ridiculously easy to do. As far as programs go, I havent come across a program that doesnt work on Win7 and anything that gave me any sort of trouble I Just set the compatibility to XP Sp2 and it would work perfectly fine.

14. GoodBytes

I put Win7 RC on my mother computer, where she is what would be considered a computer illiterate because she hated XP (and Vista could not run on here system). And she loves it. No problem using the new taskbar, no problem using the start menu. I saw here change the desktop wallpaper (which is a first for here) all by her self. I asked how she did it and she answer something like: "I don't know, I open the start menu and type 'wallpaper' and got to the place to change it."

The same affect happen where she got Office 2007 on her computer, before she used to ask me every time she wanted to put text in bold or some small stuff like that, but for some reason, since she got this new Office, no more question. I even saw here insert tabled. Crazy stuff. When I taught it would (Win7 and Office 2007) make a big mess and she'll be totally lost, actually ended up being the complete contrary.

15. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

do not think i have had an BSOD yet on windows 7

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

same for me as well, actually I did have a BSOD but that was due to bad memory not the OS

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I cant wait for the retail release of W7, i used the offical beta version for a little bit, but the machine it was on was my work machine and i couldn't afford a beta bug screwing things up for me so i have continued with XP.

There are some really nice features in W7 and as soon as service packs start arriving i shall be alot happier to upgrade.

Yes XP is bottlenecking the potential of my hardware, lack of DX10 and above, and memory limited to 3.25GB and uneffiecent use of my quad core, but there little things that haven't bothered me what so ever.

I just remembered, when i tried W& beta i only had one desktop setup, i now have a 2nd machine next to me setup as a render box... drop the system clock back to 2005 and install the beta i got and all is fine. I seam to remember a time limit on the beta.

18. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I used to work at the irs and they used to run dos lol thousands of computers- they switched to NT running apps in dos around 2000 and there were times the network went down.. the admins said before NT they never had any problems :eek:

I know off topic but since you brought up NT :D think the thing with win7 is.. let's say I upgrade all of my laptops to run the rc- next year I'm not going to have any keys and I'll either have to revert back (pain in the ass) or buy keys.. alot of people aren't thinking ahead.. installing win 7 now means you intend on buying it next year (of course I'm excluding the pirate option)

19. GoodBytes

Actually, either way you need to re-install the OS. Sure, I won't be surprised if hacks exists to do a Windows 7 upgrade on the RC version, but then you could potentially carry RC bugs to the new one, or break things. So that would be idiotic.
    If you go to the store and buy Win7, that means the OS said to you "despite my RC bugs you like it sooooo much that you went and buy it even before trying out the trial version of the official release to see if these bug are fixed". If you wait to ensure the bugs that annoyed you are fixed and then buy Win7, well it convince you it's a good OS. If you stay with your current OS then simple the newer OS did not satisfy you.

Also, if you have Vista Buisness or Ultimate you can create an image of your system (see Complete PC backup in the Control Panel). So reverting back only requires to backup your data (if you keep everything in the same partition as the OS).

The case of the IRS is that they did not do their research correctly. If they had, then the network problem would not exists as they would have gotten an OS which doesn't have such problem, like newer ones. The thing is that unlike other countries, the IRS is a company. It "can" go bankrupt. And like any cheap ass buisness... maximize profit to the hyper extremes. I won't be surprise if they never changed a burnout light bulb, or clean that coffee stain on a that table since 3 years. But that is a different topic. :)

20. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

hehe well it's all taxpayers money.. they used to have these plays every friday, hillarious.. based around gilligans island- if you volunteered to be one of the actors you got some hours off work- but the skit always revolved around production and accuracy.. if you ever wanted to see a asian gilligan, there you go =]

the apps written were proprietary, written in house by the bucktooths and when I got there they were already running NT with those same apps in dos :D I got to see many peoples taxes when I was there but I'm not supposed to talk about them (by law)

but theoretically if I did see a single 24 year olds tax return, an engineer from intel brought home over a million net salary in 2001, I would have flipped! and if that same guy filed it on a 1040ez I would have said no f'ing way.. if only that happened :D

and they aren't cheap with the taxpayer dollar.. if you needed something money was no object- it's a pretty tight ship they run there.. I never even got to see all of the building it was so big

with win 7.. I see your point just reinstall it- it's just if you already have a xp key I don't really see it as an upgrade on a laptop (non-gaming rig).. now vista 64 ultimate on my gaming rig and that will probably go to win 7 depending on what happens next year- planning a linux/win7 dual boot soon on another rig- I'm glad they are keeping xp support around for all the xp keys out there myself

Tags: Add Tags