1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware G.Skill Falcon 128GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 24 Jun 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

a SSD related question: how do i review the level of wear it is getting? i keep hearing people say "my daily wear is ___ and by that rate, my drive will fail in 2020"

also, can my Samsung SSD use that wipe.exe? or is it manufacturer specific like the overclocking tool by EVGA

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

about $3/GB...when it hits around $1.50, i might be interested personally.

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

No, it really isn't. Unfortunately! My idea of "affordable" is £0.75 per GB (still 10 times more expensive than HDDs, mind).

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The EVGA Precision overclocking tool works on non EVGA graphics cards too ;)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Then you're not in the SSD market :p You can't want a Core i7 and only intend to pay for an E5200..

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Do us all a favour.

Get one of these SSDs, and get a standard mechanical disk. Build two otherwise-identical systems and put XP on them. Set things up so that they continuously reboot and reload XP.

Let them do this until both drives have failed, which will probably take about a year for the mech and considerably less for the flash, and then tell us what you get.

P

9. wyx087

indeed.

i think some people are spoiled by HDD's low prices. i remember the days when a 2GB disk costs the same as 2TB disks. and that's less than 15 years ago.

if you want speed faster than any HDD, including Raptor, you'd have to pay for it. after switching from a Raptor, the quietness of it is amazing.

the issue of failing is only a real issue when you are a stupid user and don't apply the tweaks. move ProgramData and Users folder off C drive onto a fast application drive such as WD Black, and then disable as much logging on C as possible. and now the SSD will be both fast and reliable.

10. capnPedro

You're very right. But it's not like SSDs are offering 10 times the performance of HDDs (random access times given, however).

28 times the price, for double the performance, and this is afordable? I don't think I want to be in the SSD market just yet, thanks.

11. wyx087

SSDs should only be compared to the WD Raptor or velociRaptor series, all other hard drives are dead slow and useless for OS drives.

compare 64GB Samsung on Novatech for £87 against their £55 74GB WD Raptor. i'd say the SSD is a much better buy at those prices.
    -0.74 £/GB on Raptor
    -1.36 £/GB on Samsung

came from Raptor, the Raptor is loud and not as fast as the SSD, only good point is that it's very, very reliable when you don't plan to move your computer. SSD on the other hand is ultra reliable when you are moving your rig, but most importantly everything feels instant and you don't feel the program is being launched from the disk, it feels as though it came from RAM because the lack of drive seaking.

for double the price, you get almost double the performance.

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Or more if you look at the Iometer random combined r+w results (which in my opinion is the one that represents the felt performance gain the best).

Anyway, lower prices and higher capacity would still be nice, but do I regret buying a SSD at the current prices? not one bit.

13. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

I wish they would bring out a 32GB version of this, just so that I can use it as an OS drive :(

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What's XP?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Look at graphics upgrades then - twice the performance for x the price if we look between generations?

You're also looking at total capacity too - you dont buy a 1TB drive for your OS then fill it all! Nor do you with and SSD. You cant compare mass storage with performance storage.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Tough to measure SSD wearing. I'll be hopefully doing some research into SSD wearing and performance degradation soon to clear some of this up.

Sadly wiper.exe is specific to the particular manufactuerers drives, (or rather who the drive thinks manufactuered it ;) ). Sasmung has yet to release such an application i'm affaid.

17. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Because we all use an 8 year old OS rebooting thousands of times a day with a £300 performance part designed for modern operating systems? I think we should also throw in some Windows 98, 95 and even 3.1 testing too just for people to see the improvement an SSD will bring to that '96 Packard Bell.

18. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

BEST OS EVOR!1!!111

Still think these SSD drives are daft price wise :X

19. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

last page, 4th paragraph
    should be
    ;)

Oh, and you so should install win95 on an SSD just to see what happens...

20. capnPedro

OK I see what you mean now. I've never looked at it that way I guess because I've never had performance storage and mass storage! At the moment, I have my OS on a partition on a 1TB Barracuda 7200.11.

Next upgrade (after uni :( ) will have an SSD, definately, and probably a couple of 5TB drives in RAID. :lol:

Tags: Add Tags