1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to cost £55

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Holy ************.

No launch purchase from me. Robdogs know damn well it'll be £40 within a month.

3. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Who on earth will pay that for a PC game? I could just about understand that price with "console tax", but on a PC it's just silly. I wouldn't pay that for a game and I'll bet a lot of other people won't either.

4. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Although it's (only?) £40 on PC.

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

another game i'll only play in "naughty mode" then :rolleyes:

I do not mind paying for games, but prices need to be reasonable. 64 euros for one game clearly isn't. If they truely want the sharing community to come back on board, they should have prices hovering around 20-25 euros per game. That's properly in the range of impulse buys for young people everywhere, and they would double or triple their game sales easily.

This price hike will cost them money, mark my words.

6. PT88

PT88 What's a Dremel?

I think this will be my candidate for most pirated game of the year with a price tag like tht!

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Eurgh more news of price rises from companies seemingly incapable of hedging their future currency risk (regardless of which risk they are covering).

Seriously though £55 is a p*** take..... and they wonder why people pirate games....

8. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Yea... I won't be buying that on release... thats a rediculas price...

9. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

HOLY CRAP
    Who in there right mind is gonna shell out 55 quid on that, even if it is a brilliant game.
    /Facepalm

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A thought occurs.

They claim development costs are high.

Why is that not affecting the US price, then?

Why should we be paying damn near the same price for the standard edition that they do for the hardened edition?

11. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

You can pre-order it for £30.00 so it's not too bad (PC)

12. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

£25 is my sweet spot for game prices. Does mean I need to wait for a while after release until it comes down to that price. Only game I've paid full price (£34.99) in the past 5 years has been Prototype. Orange Box, Mirror's Edge, Price Of Persia, GTA:IV, littlebigplanet - all for £25 or less.

Games publishers need to take a good hard look at Steam's statistics - they sell a LOT more when games are on "sale" at ~£25 or less - it's the economy of scale, sell a tiny number of high cost items, or a shedload of sales of low cost items. The latter actually makes more profit in the long term.

13. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

I thought the £ had started strenghtening against the $, and wasn't it nearly paralel with the euro at christmas? Now its £1.15 to the euro so even if that was the reason, wtf?!?!?

14. Scotteh

Scotteh What's a Dremel?

"We need more money in the UK..."
    "I've got a solution!.....raise the price to £55 for a GAME and increase the amount of people who will pirate it!....I mean it's not like piracy will increase if we make the price silly will it."
    "That's a brilliant idea!....lets do it!"

15. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I think it will still be one of the most successful games ever just because it's MW2. This is probably the one title Activision could pull this off with and not have it bite them in the ass. Of course it will have record piracy rates too, but I don't think they will have a significant effect on sales.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Umm what about the rest of the world?

17. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Thats the sort of bs I'd expect from a politician. But Blizzard Activision are clearly used to subscription fees from 'World of Point Click' and are charging an obsurd amount to offset this. Sell cheaply and flood the market......

18. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Think i'll be trying my mates version before I cough up that amount of mulah, if you know what I mean...

19. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

With everyone waiting for starcraft and diablo i wonder what price they're going to be, if this move is in any way "successful" in there eyes £60 diablo can't be far around the corner....

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

LOL
    Console games have been costing 800,- (local) here for a while (i.e. a year+ )... converted to your currency, that's ~60GBP (thank you, XE)
    the bit of a price increase on the console isn't going to make or break it for me... the PC pricing is a bit ludicrous, though...

Tags: Add Tags