1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia: Without TWIMTBP, PC gaming would be dead

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yeah...

NO.

3. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

It seems like you guys are trying to alternate bad news with good news for Nvidia.

Good news - Nvidia: Without TWIMTBP, PC gaming would be dead
    Bad news - Nvidia dismisses AMD's Batman accusations
    Good news - High-end Fermi will ship this year
    Bad news - Fermi card on stage wasn't real

4. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I think they mean they have over 50 engineers that work "damn hard" to make sure their games work better on their hardware than their competitor's while making it look like they're doing no such thing.

5. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I do appreciate the investment Nvidia are making in pc gaming, and i hope the pc platform becomes stronger with Win 7 and Dx11. You can slam Nvidia but they are investing huge amounts of money and doing things that Ati are just not bothering with. Like they said their's nothing stopping Ati from doing the same but they can't be bothered. It makes me want to buy an Nvidia card just because they are investing in pc gaming and Ati are not. Nvidia don't have to do this, their doing it off their own backs so the games can be better. For the developers to get this service for free it must be invaluable. I am not a fanboy of either side but they are the facts.

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Proprietary standards kills gaming.

7. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

For the most part blame Intel for their crappy IGP.

8. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah, lots of improvements in Batman. Like the fact that even the lowest PhysX setting kills the frame rate on my 3.8ghz i7 GTX 260 GS system. Nice one Nvidia, that was really worth the effort.

9. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Good news - You can have Phys-X
    Bad news - Not if you have an ATi card in your system.

Screw Nvidia, I will never buy one of their products as they are so anti-competitive.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Especially when they also kill performance.

11. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I have no problems with physx, I have a gtx285 dedicated to it however when I removed it and used just m gtx295 cards the frames dropped by about 30%. I think to a certain extent nvidia are forcing us to use a "seperatele physx unit" as using tour gpu that is providing the graphics has horrendous effects. At least nvidia are working with developers though...

Andy

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

don't see any reason to accuse nVidia with TWIMTBP program, if ATI had offered the same level of service to the game developers, everyone would benefit.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

That's a big If , dout ati have a spare 100 million these days, to the dude with a 260 , buy another dedicated to physics and it's fine

14. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I can appreciate Nvidia's sentiment, but at the same time obviously if it comes down to the wire and they have the choice between an nvidia optimisation and ati optimisation, they will do nvidia. This could be as little as, well nvidia supports physx but ati supports opencl, and the TWIMTBP team say 'we've got 2 weeks left, we've fixed the AA, we've got FPS rates working, lets work on hammering physx in'.

I'm not saying it's wrong of them to do that - if I was a shareholder of nvidia so it was my money going to paying their wages - I'd be angry if they weren't making sure our product was better supported. However, I think it's wrong of them to say 'bawww we are a charity we only do this out of love and kindness'. Obviously it's nvidia's bottom line that matters to them.

Also agree that AMD/ATI should ramp up the competition on the service front.

15. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

I know, imagine where we would be if all 'games for windows' games worked out the box with people's onboard stuff whether it's a craptop or desktop (probably not netbooks though).

16. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

As anti-competitive as it is, NVIDIA are probably mostly responsible for keeping PC gaming where it is. Remember when they did that deal with IW so that PC gamers could get the COD4 map pack for free.

Clearly they do want to keep PC gaming going. I'm not saying that isn't in their financial interest, but w/e the reason we shouldn't turn our noses up quite so fast.

17. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I just bought an HD5870... screw PhysX...
    Why should a company (nvidia/ati) pay the developer to make better games? I think that it's in the interest of the developer to make a good game.

18. dreamhunk

dreamhunk What's a Dremel?

It's more like with out pc gamingthe pc industry would be dead!

19. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

Lol, this makes me laugh so hard, Nvidia are not doing this out of the kindness of there hearts, in fact TWIMTBP is an amazingly cheap marketing ploy. Having an unskip-able logo on the beginning of games and on the box is worth waaaay more than $100 million.

The fact is, its dirt cheap marketing, that also has the bonus of screwing the competition and that they can spin so that people believe they are the saints of PC gaming.

20. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

This.

100%.

If it wasn't for gaming, the PC industry wouldn't be dead, but we'd all be using Intel Integrated, and anywhere that needed large amounts of crunching power would be running Silicon Graphics workstations or supercomputers, and everything would be done on CPU. Intel and AMD would be OK. nVidia, ATi, Matrox... they'd be dead. Or they'd have never taken off the way they did.

Sorry, I don't buy the idea that PC gaming would be dead without TWIMTBP. We might not have some of these 'OMG graphics!' games, but might I suggest that that might not be such a bad thing, if story and gameplay took the lead in games again rather than graphics-above-all...

However, the fragmentation of the market with locking out PhysX (for example) might do it unless DX11's physics implementation becomes dominant. (Which it might do, as it should work on everything, rather than just what one company wants it to...)

Tags: Add Tags