1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Microsoft Windows 7 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Are you kidding? Quick launch is awesome! Just have a double height taskbar, window tabby things on the top, quick launch below and you've never got the need to go to you desktop ever again.

Sure, it's not great if you're using a smaller monitor but on 1280x1024 I find the loss of a tiny bit of vertical screen space absolutely worth the increase in ease of use it brings. You can also use hide taskbar thing if you're really picky.

Anyway, back to my reading.

EDIT: Ok the new taskbar does sound awesome if I'm interpreting this right. It's essentially like they've merged the quick launch and task bar tabs? So you have thunderbird pinned on there, you click on it and it opens it, once it opens it acts as the tab?

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

On page seven, it seemed like you could do GPU transcoding to a Zune, but not when it was mentioned again..

When will we see a game performance comparison? :O

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Yes that's what I thought you'd say.

But seriously. Exactly what does this thing offer, beyond some extremely minor upgrades to the UI which are of extremely fleeting usefulness and being, ooh, look, almost nearly not quite as fast as what they were doing ten years ago? The user experience for windows has not substantively changed since the mid-nineties, notwithstanding an undeniable increase in stability with 2000. All they've done since then is consume ever more system resources to do essentially the same thing.

And why is it at least forty per cent more expensive in the UK than it is over the pond?

Oh well, I suspect I will never get the one feature I want Windows to have, which is to be able to filter explorer windows by typing wildcards into the address bar.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

Argh, my bad - it's the latter at the moment. It's more likely to get support than the iPod though (we all know what Apple is like), but we could see it in a later version of iTunes I guess. :)

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, that's correct.

7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Here's some tips and tricks to aid your acclimatisation to Windows 7.

http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...iously-useful-windows-7-tips-528483?artc_pg=1

I'm loving it, I'm feeling more productive under 7 than I ever did in Vista, and it runs so much quicker and smoother.
    Yeah and you can shift-click it to spawn another instance of the same app (assuming the app supports it).

8. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

I'm guessing you haven't used Win7 yet then? :D

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

What does "homegroup" mean?

Is that the latest code for "can be an SMB server?"

That's the only reason I ever bought XP Pro, so I could serve files from it.

Oh, and, no, I haven't, you dimwit, it came out today. I have used Vista, which appeared in all respects to be the Shakespearian play named Windows XP as performed by Cirque du Soleil, by which I mean it was in all respects precisely identical with XP except for a lot of people standing on their heads. On a trampoline. Wearing spandex.

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

No, it's to share files across a home network with little/no effort, unlike Vista and XP, which required rather a lot of jumping through hoops. The effort required isn't much more strenuous than typing the network key into the text box.

Less of the personal attacks, dimwit. :rolleyes:

The beta and RCs have been publicly available for download since January this year.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Now I can't wait for Win7 and my new graphics card to get here :D

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Multi-threading kernel
    Better multi-tasking UI
    64-bit
    Bigger memory footprint support
    Direct compute
    DX11
    Native AVCHD support in MCE/Media Centre
    TRIM and SSD support
    More efficient Windows update method
    Better driver - kernel relationship (think "this driver stopped responding" rather than bluescreen)
    Better handling of hardware in general
    Better RAID support (through additional driver/software support like Intel Matrix RAID however)
    Generally better networking (wireless notably)
    Library functionality
    Quick access directories from the taskbar
    Windows docking
    Improved multi-monitor support (although still no task bar extension! boo!)

Yea, you're right, there's not much now I come to think of it. :p

RC1 was available free of charge for everyone to try. There's no need to resort to name calling. :nono:

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'm really going to miss XP. It really is one of those bad-turns-awesome stories imo.

14. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Most interesting and admirable were the screen-shots.
    Thanks to them I landed on Tim Smalley's Flickr page.

The photos are, well let us leave the descriptions, we should petition for a 1920x1200 resolution download section here on Bit-tech for desktop backgrounds.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timsmalley/4029132254/
    just look at this Cumbria photo!
    it's so dreamy, film like, succulent, and inspiring.

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh, asterisks. Does this mean that 7 will or will not work with an existing workgroup, since we're likely to have XP machines here for the forseeable future? I can't believe they've broken that, have they?

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

Nope, you can still join other networks in the same way that you did before.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No you won't. Seriously, once you use 7 for a month you won't go back. I find it painfully backward now. I mean Vista was and still is a pain, I can't even go back to that.

18. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Agreed.

19. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

This. I have to use XP at work and it's unimaginably annoying as I have 7 on my home PC. I still maintain people bitched about Vista too much - never had any problems myself.

20. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I have to ask, if it's sort of about as fast as XP, how that helps.

Tags: Add Tags