1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware First Look: Seasonic X-Series PSU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Oct 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Finally, it's good to hear something again about the PSU's. It's been a while.
    How soon can we expect a review of the new Modular Corsair HX series (750 Watt and above)?

...Oh .... and W00t 1st post ...........:p

3. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

I find 2 things strange here; the first being that a manufacturer has tried to extend the life expectancy of one its products by future proofing and potentially over-cooling, and secondly that bit-tech are complaining about this!

4. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

We already mentioned in the forums that the X series from Seasonic is Creme de la creme.

The only thing to improve is the small internal heat-dissipator; with better internal heat dissipating elements they could reduce the ultra silent behavior and temperatures a lot further.
    At least the price is great, compared to other "premium offerings".

Enermax has also a line of Gold rated PSUs, but they are low power ones (550w is the most powerful).

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

At a $200 RRP, I can see folks opting for lower-end PSUs. But the review over at [H]ardOCP leaves no doubt that it's a great unit.

6. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I build gamer systems and never put less than a kilowatt PSU in any more. I haven't had any power problems since doing that, and that ladies, is a GOOD thing!

I am running an Enermax Evo Galaxy 1250 Watt on my main computer now.
    The box proudly proclaims "12 cpus/gpus" AND "24 drives". I only have 4 cpus and 2 GPUs right now with 6 internal drives and 2 opticals, so I have some breathing room! Ph yeah the 12 120mm fans that are going to be replaced with water cooling for a winter project.

Yours in there is no Overkill, just the time between "aim, fire and cease fire!" Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

7. nilesfoundglory

nilesfoundglory What's a Dremel?

For those who may be looking for reviews already published on the Seasonic X-series, might I point your attention towards these two links:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/25/seasonic_x_series_x750_power_supply_review/ (as already mentioned by stonedsurd)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=169

In both reviews, the fan noise seemed insignificant, which would make me think Bit-tech's worries about ramping fan speeds are unfounded (it is a .13 amp fan which only spins at a max 800RPM, folks), and heat output never seemed to be an issue in either review. It also kept well within the 80Plus Gold certification at 120VAC, so I'd imagine European users will get much better efficiency out of these units.

@Star*Dagger: Care to explain what your comment has to do with anything discussed here? Just trying to figure out how you bragging about your gaming PC and Enermax marketing FUD figures into a preview about a PSU for the quiet & energy efficient market...

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

1250W? Are you insane? You know you can run 2 GPUs on a 750W PSU, right? I would have thought that someone who builds systems on a regular basis would know better than that :duh:

9. mrb_no1

mrb_no1 Pie Eater

i agree with smc on this one, 1250 watts, you could run a skulltrail board with 8 gpus on for that much...or close atleast. the only tangible advantage, for which i have a 900watt psu in my rig, is that it never sees any more than 50% load, so it stays really quiet!

anyways, it'll be nice to see what these ladies do under the spotlight, bring it on bit tech!

peace

fatman

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

anything over ~700w for single GPU is over kill, ~850w for 2 GPU's.

i've been running Corsair H620w (Seasonic built i believe) for over 2 years without a single problem. quality that counts.

11. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Thanks for waving your willy around in a manner unrelated to the discussion.

12. myhottrashcan

myhottrashcan Just some guy

As an electrical engineer, every change Seasonic have made makes perfect engineering sense. A well designed and manufactured power supply will last through many hardware revisions, so even the modularity is smart. What is especially impressive is their 90% PF correction, very hard to minimize reactive power in a switching power supply. Makes me proud to have one of their products powering my computer right now, hats off to Seasonic.

Also, lets get a review to test these claims, akin to that group test you performed a couple years back.

13. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

I kind of regret getting rid of my Seasonic S12II-430 - it was a really good PSU even without modular cables. Unfortunately, I needed a bit more power as adding another hard drive seemed to be a step too far. So I went back to my old Hiper Type R 550W - after I replaced the worn 80mm fan that kept spinning against the circuit board inside. It predates the a lot of the efficiency ratings so it's nowhere near as good. When I get round to upgrading the PSU again (which won't be for some time - my 939 Athlon X2 is well overdue being replaced) Seasonic will definitely be high up in the list.

@myhottrashcan
    CustomPC Mag did a PSU review not that long ago, and found that many PSU's don't actually meet the ATX spec fully. I think this was just before Bit-Tech joined Dennis. FYI, that was the review that picked out the OCZ ModXtremePro 500 modular PSU for £50 and led to BT and CPC recommending it till this day.

Any chance we can get that review published here regardless? It was a damn good review and I think many people would benefit from it, even if it doesn't include the latest 80 Plus Gold spec it gives an idea as to which manufacturers supply decent kit.

14. Cyco-Dude

Cyco-Dude What's a Dremel?

15. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

UNDER FULL LOAD it is the second quietest premium PSU on the market.

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

So no pics of the cables installed?

17. marone

marone What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know when we'll see these available in the UK?

So far I've found it listed on Scan (no stock) but no-where else.

Tags: Add Tags