1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Working conditions poor in other Rockstar studios

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

Don't delay max payne again :(...

3. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Seems like there are some stupid slavers in Rockstar's management who think fatigued overworked developers could yield better results. Nice example of big company driven by "excel charts of productivity"...

And it looks like they're going to release alpha version of Max Payne 3, that's just great...

4. woodss

woodss Yes Louis Wu

I don't wanna go near it till its finished. It better live up to the original. One of the best games I ever played.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Are poor them, there are millions of people in the world who work even longer days and get no holiday and earn less than what is required to feed their families.

Some people do not know how good they got it.

6. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Maybe we should get a fairtrade label on games so we can avoid these sweatshop-driven products

7. leslie

leslie Just me!

Who says it really feeds their families?
    Not everyone in I.T. makes great money, and many people will sacrifice a lot to work at a high profile place like that.

While they may make decent money, how is that different from making "decent money" in another country? A sweat shop is still a sweat shop.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

QFT.

9. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I am not sure I would want to work anywhere where management gave me 'relief'......... :jawdrop:

10. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

there will always be people worse of, thats no reason to just put up with what your told

Last edited: 19 Jan 2010
  11. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

There are also parts of the world where people are routinely killed by the ruling regime, and places where women are not allowed to get an education. Does that mean that we should not work to make our streets safer and our schools better? Just because something worse happens somewhere else it doesn't make everything up to that limit acceptable.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Isn't that the point right there? Half the London economy runs on "Assistants", "Part-Timers" and "Trainees" earning a lot less than the work they do would justify, but they work in these companies because it looks good on their resume.
    You're free to leave, aren't you?
    A former Rockstar programmer should be able to find a new job.

13. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It is a good idea to put up with it, because if not you will be the one fired first in the next round of mass layoffs.

14. total zombie

total zombie What's a Dremel?

I am not sure I would want to work anywhere where management gave me 'relief'......... :jawdrop:[/QUOTE]

i would ha! ha! ha!
    that was funny!

15. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Thats their choice. They had chosen to work there and if they dont like it, they cant complain. They have the luxury to move and laws to protect them.

While less privaleged countries dont have that kind of choice or protection.

16. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Unless the management was a really gorgeous and sexy hottie! Then you would be there at the end of the day to get your daily basis of "relief"! I knew I would if that was the case =P

17. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Dude, go be a saviour, an another Madre Teresa of Calcuta... Geez, everyone knows that there are places on the Earth worse than where we live but we have the privilege of using those rights. Just because you forfeit them for no reason, doesn't mean we would.

At least, make yourself useful and help Haiti. That's a place that needs help.

18. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I still don't understand what 3rd world countries have to do with the working conditions at a top tier game development company. You're comparing two completely different things. Anything beyond another game company's work conditions is irrelevant.

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

crack that whip waaaaaaphsssss!

all the rewrites can't help.. probably have that environments thrown together at the last minute look too

20. leslie

leslie Just me!

What are you willing to do in a bad economy? How many gaming companies are laying people off?

Regardless of that;
    At which point are you breaking labor laws?
    At which point do you start to anger your customer base?
    How far can a company go for profits before you get annoyed.

One thing you fail to realize is that this does effect everyone in the industry. If Rockstar can get away with it, why can't Apple, or Microsoft, etc.. Well then, how about everyone in I.T.

If I.T. can do it, why not you? "Hey, that guy works 100 hours a week, he's not complaining, you're fired, lets go hire him. We can get rid of to people for the price of one."

Last edited: 19 Jan 2010
Tags: Add Tags