1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Microsoft’s future of gaming: XNA and touch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 17 Mar 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

I am the only person who "Don't get" touch screen gaming?, it might work for the small hand held devices (DS/Phone) but for larger screens?. Disavantages I see are.

1. Finger prints all over the screen that would require constant cleaning.
    2. By touching the screen your hand/fingers would block your vision to the screen.
    3. What sort of rage/over enthusatic prodding protection will the screens require?

It's a nice controller option I suppose but given a choice I'd rather use mouse/keyboard/controller than mess my screen up with finger prints.

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

The patent trolls are coming!

4. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Xna is also one of the platforms along with visual studio and expression blend 4 that you can develop win mo 7 apps with just to give people a heads up. Might dip my toe myself with the amount of c# coding I've been doing lately at work. Although maybe not as far as a game

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Didnt Microsoft abandoned PC gaming?

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

they did, they're just mocking us now :p

7. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

+1 You're not alone LOL :D

And also, XNA = no pr0n? Aww... and here I was thinking to make some hentai games with it! LOL Guess I would have to resort to another engines =_=*

8. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Good timing for the article! I was just wondering about Multitouch gaming again after having looked at it a couple of months ago.
    Theres actually a lot of information out there on multitouch devices and how to make your own "surface" table if you wanted to at the NUI group (check out the showcase threads)

http://nuigroup.com/forums/

Several notable examples of games that work on Multitouch tables would be this Dungeons and Dragons example:
    http://boingboing.net/2009/10/29/dd-on-multi-touch-ta.html
    Ruse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTTuaKughoU
    An RPG
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QflrIK-m4Ts&feature=player_embedded

Essentially it seems touch gaming is still in its infancy but im hoping to see it develop as I can see it being very intuitaive for certain games (most RPG's, Table top gaming).

One implementation I would love to see would be using a touchscreen as a secondary screen/strategy map in a first person game, for example in Mount and Blade it is a first person view point from the primary screen, however if you were able to control your army/issue orders on the touchscreen at the same time then that would be great! Having to balance getting stuck into the fighting but still have to control the whole battle

9. jesusthemazu

jesusthemazu What's a Dremel?

i think it was kinda of a stupid idea for Microsoft to pull Zune support, mainly the HD, from XNA studio 4.0.

i heard it will still be supported in 3.1 but it seemed like a bad move on Microsoft's part.

think about it. its their mainstream pmp. it does it all. unless you are Ben Heck, you cant take an Xbox with you everywhere. Even with a Win7 phone, people wont want to use it for gaming that much because of battery life.

i have repeatedly seen people say they would rather have a Zune HD for everything but calls and mobile internet.

seems kinda stupid how something as powerful as the Zune HD to be just ripped from support from someone like Microsoft.

i think it would be smart to change their first approach and bring back support for the Zune.

10. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I can tell you from experience, I like working with XNA. Makes life simpler when you're the only one there.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Bwahahaaa! :D

It'd be funny if it wasn't true...

Just like stopping support for your Hardware and then starting a new series a few years later :D

12. Skill3d

Skill3d Minimodder

hmmm could prove nice for some warhammer space hulk games and CAD programs

Tags: Add Tags