1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe Flash Player 10.1 released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Jun 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

A big consideration in my books is the hardware supported. GPU accelleration is great, but not if I have to buy a new graphics card to make use of it. Anyway, hopefully nokia will pull its finger out and make it available for the N900 :)

3. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Indeed!

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Haha!!!!

just wonderful, installed it, first 720p video i go to play hard locks my PC and i have to power off....as everything is completely frozen...

FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Is 64 bit support really still too much to ask?

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

That's what you get running beta sof.... no, wait...

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

60-80% CPU utilisation while playing the 1080p Write the Future advert before the update, 60-80% afterwards. Meh.

Does it not support 4870s?

8. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

Been running it since the first beta with no real problems.

BTW: good way to see if it's using the GPU for ATI owners:
    Go into the control panel overdrive section. you should find the GPU clocks up to a medium clock (500mhz on my 4890) and the activity monitor shows extra usage when playing flash content

9. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

9600GT + Q6600, now it's under 15%

10. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

I wonder if Adobe realises how much it's holding back the progress of browser development by not creating a 64-bit version of Flash for Windows. Many of the security problems faced by flash would likely be mitigated from the change, and in doing so (and through use of 64-bit browsers), I'm sure we could all appreciate this.

11. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

+1

There's a lot to be desired from their development methodologies. Why is it so difficult to cross-compile native 64-bit software? Every single open-source project manages, for next to no cost.

And talking of Linux, guess who doesn't get to take advantage of GPU acceleration, despite a community that's crying out to help drive its adoption. Adobe's Linux developer (I'm fairly sure that's not meant to be plural) has publicly spoken out about how difficult it is, but does so without working with the community, mucking in, or even as much as formally requesting anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they make a plugin for Linux, but they could be doing a lot better across the board.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I have been using 10.1 for a while and my netbook has had zero issues with playback :)

13. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

My notebook went to +100C now.

Thanks a LOT ADOBE!!!

14. daveloft

daveloft What's a Dremel?

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I have no recollection of updating to this, so Firefox kindly did it for me Grrrr...

Fortunately, no issues here.

the above 1080p link plays full screen with 4% CPU usage.

Last edited: 12 Jun 2010
  16. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

ATI mobility on windows 7 x64, there seems to be intermittent GPU offload, CPU usage spikes from sub 10% to 80%. Still smooth playback I guess.

17. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

It's tricky enough to get any computer system to use the semi-mythical h.264 decoder assist that may or may not exist on its GPU core; I somehow doubt Adobe have solved that issue at a stroke.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to find that the GPU manufacturers are making it up. Honestly, guv, there's a 264 decoder in there. Seriously. You need SuperPlayer 10.06 and to manually install the proper version of wtf.dll to make it work, and it's only active on fully patched versions of Windows 7 Ultimate (oh, but don't install the last patch, it'll break everything).

God, it's like using Linux.

P

18. Queelis

Queelis What's a Dremel?

All well here; don't know about CPU load (constantly folding), but the GPU load does go up to 7% while watching 1080p youtube clip - so it must be doing something :)

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

It does work. Here's a vid. (go 1080p full screen)

Watch the GPU clock speeds in EVGA when the vid starts playing.

Pay no attention to the CPU usage, as that's due to the FRAPS overhead, but note how it doesn't increase when the vid plays. Without FRAPS my CPU usage is 4% when playing that 1080 link full screen.

20. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Had an issue the other day (following installation of 10.1) that when I fullsized a video it just gave me a white screen. Apparently the hardware acceleration is a default setting and my laptop can't manage (Geforce 420Go). I think there will be quite a few people running old hardware that won't understand the problem. Lots of income for PC World I suppose...

Tags: Add Tags