1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i5-655K Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 2 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

As-is, I can't really see the 655K serving any other purpose than being a funny little something for the overclocking people to try just for shts'n'giggles. Anyway I'd like to see Intel come out with some higher end unlocked CPUs. An unlocked quad core might prove a huge hit.. Then again that might hurt the sales of i7-setups.

Still it seems like a weird thing to try just on a single dual core model.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

The 655K is just too overpriced - it'd be more reasonable to charge, say, <£100. As Jipa says, this chip willonly appeal to those who are into extreme overclocking.

Also, a request to the Bit-Tech team: could you include SuperPi 32M tests? Thi would give an indication of the raw power of single thread performance.

4. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I feel the main reason for these K series chips is due to poor sales. The i3 series sales fall heavily on the 530, the i5 on the 750 and the i7 on the 920/930 and those with deep pockets 980X. Everything else in between gets swallowed by OEMs and gather dust on shelves.

Will they sell more? based on this review, I see nothing to tempt anyone to be honest.

5. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

Just a little constructive criticism,

If i wanted to compare this to a i7 860 i have to open up two reviews and cross compare

Likewise if i was unsure between this and a 955, or even if it was a worthy upgrade to a Q6600

i have mentioned this before but it would be really helpful if you had a League table charting system

6. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

i5 750 slowed for crysis when overclocked?

Material likes this.
  7. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Why do Intel have to put a high price on all their products, I've always been a Intel fan-boy but the prices just get tiring, it's just upsetting to see that a high-end AMD processor gets trashed by mid-range processor from the competitor..

8. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

bah, typo, should be 54.

Thanks for the catch (+rep)

9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Surely you mean the i5-750 right?

10. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

^^

11. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

ugh, sorted

pimonserry likes this.
  12. rollo

rollo Modder

Waste of money part 2 intel fail

Who would put 4.6ghz through there chip on a daytonday basis on air it's just asking for something to fail, most of the forum posts have people mentioning 3.5ghz as the max they would push a chip

13. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

We test for the maximum overclock of a CPU we're testing, as this is a guide as to its quality - we're not recommending people run this overclock everyday. Besides, the point of the K-series is surely that their fully unlocked multiplier makes them more overclockable, and we've proved with this review that this isn't the case.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'm interested to see this mounted with a water chiller or just watercooling and see how high yuo can push it then... Seeing as the only people why this works for are watercoolers who can't afford an i7 setup...

15. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Another useless and pricey gimmick by Intel.

16. Neversoft

Neversoft What's a Dremel?

Not sure why this chip exists. The i5-750 is so close to price with way better performance.
    Kudos to Intel for making more affordable chips though! Of coarse, this will really piss someone off if they buy this under the assumption its a Quad.

Wait! I think I found out why they made it.

pimonserry likes this.
  17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

It's more gimmicky than anything else. Makes me scratch my head though, why a 655K and not a 755K?

The 875 is way too much, the 655k is still too much but is shadowed by the 750. Why no middle ground?

18. PopcornMachine

PopcornMachine Snacker

I agree with your conclusion. Why not just get a 750.

In addition to getting a better overall CPU, you're also not paying for an embedded GPU that you're never going to use in a gaming system.

19. Teh C

Teh C Arg

I assume Intel used the i5 650 and i7 860 because they are not as popular as others, such as the i5 750 or i7 930

20. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

If you see this as a product launch in its own right, it is distinctly underwhelming. As a pointer of things to come, it is rather more promising.

Given less of a price premium and more choice of chips, 5K would be far more interesting.

Tags: Add Tags