1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i7-875K Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 7 Jul 2010.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

a pointless release by intel

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

pointless indeed, my i7 860 can already do 22x multiplier (turbo mode always enabled, a BIOS feature)

either go 6 core extreme or buy the cheapest of an architecture, no point getting a midrange unlocked.

4. Riddick

Riddick Percussionist

So is it worth getting this over the i7 860 or should I just save my money?

5. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

I'd still be tempted by an i7-920 or i7-920 rather than that. I know an LGA1366 motherboard and 6GB of memory will cost a bit more than an LGA1156 and 4GB of RAM, but it's a better system for something like £80 more. Alternatively, it's hard to look beyond the i5-750 unless you really need Hyper-Threading - it's £50 cheaper than the i7-860 and still very fast.

Oh, I'm guessing you're in the UK btw - US prices are very different to ours, so it's a different situation.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just...why? Who in their right mind will buy this chip?

Save your money. Even better, get an i5 750 and save even more with F/A drop in perfomance (for gaming anyway)..

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

there is no real point getting anything over an i5 750 at present - unless you need the core count

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I really don't understand Intel's thinking at the moment.

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

there thinking is release new things to buy and make it look kinda good beacuse we are so far ahead of AMD it doesnt matter

10. Riddick

Riddick Percussionist

Cheers Pete! I was looking at the i5 as well but I'm still a sucker for the idea of bigger is better with CPU numbers, but based on the overclockability of the i5 750 it's quite tempting

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Imho, all intel did with the K-processors is give the flagships of the 1156 socket a refresh. The 661 became the slightly better overclockable 665: an unlocked dualcore that the subzero superpi benchers have been wanting for so long, and the 870 became the more reasonably priced 875 with an unlocked multiplier thrown in for good measure.
    The 875 has another cool feature: it lets you design your own turbo boost setup. Instead of following Intel's 22-24-26-27 scheme (for standard, 4 core boosted, 2 core boosted and one core boosted respectively), you can set it to any values you like.
    Also, it's true that there's an overlap with the 920 and 930 processors, but i stand my ground claiming that the 860 and 870 are at heart better processors with their more flexible turbo modes, lower power consumption and total absence of an overheating Northbridge. The 870 is priced out of the market, but the 875 goes a long way into fixing that.

Seen in that light these processors aren't so bad. I never expected them to be the next sliced bread... that's reserved for the quad 32nm lynnfield derivatives that Intel will never make...

I agree, unless you ABSOLUTELY need the extra power for rendering or compiling or the like, get a 750. It gets you within an inch of all the "big boys" for a lot less energy, while giving you a lot less power and heat headaches.

I have an 870, but only because i won one at the Asus/Bit-Tech P55 launch event. (thanks guys :thumb: )
    I now have a very realistic shot at winning an 875K through a Dutch OC compo. Once i have them side-to-side, i'll do some proper comparing to see if there are any benefits to multiplier-overclocking on this platform. I have a theory that the high multiplier allows you to OC the Core and Uncore separately, giving the overclocker a lot more control on how to spend the "heat budget". Right now the 870 is giving me the impression of a chip that wants to go a lot faster, but is held back by the uncore.

I'll let you know, wish me luck on the 10th! :thumb:

12. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Bought it for a friend for USD $200 at my local Microcenter a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't pass up that deal when compared to an i5-750 at $190 (was only $10 more!).

I was planning on OCing via the MP, but after reading the article it looks like I should go with the base clock for more improvement system-wise.

It's been a while since I've OC'd so we'll see how far I can push it with his GA-P55M-UD2 (v10; w/ 875k support).

13. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Looks like Intel is just competing with themselves these days as everything AMD has in it's arsenal is pure worthlessness as far as performance goes. AMD six core is priced very competitively but gets wiped all over the place by an overclocked core i7 870 875 920 930 950 all priced as of August 2010 under $300

The core i7 875 looks tempting but with the announcement of the mack daddy core i7 950 dropping under $300 in August my pennies are saved and ready for this monster.

Looks like Intel's business model of $300 for the good stuff has finally suckered me in.

Bom bom --bom bom

14. ehume

ehume What's a Dremel?

As the owner of two i7 860's I wish I had one of these. In order to run 4GHz I must use Turbo at 22x with a BCLK of 182. I would like to turn Turbo off, but a BCLK of 191 takes too much Vcore and the system gets too hot. Ideally, I'd like to run a BCLK of 167 with a multiplier of 24x. That would be well within my cooling envelope on a hot day. Now, to find a way to convince my wife that I really need to spend $370 . . .

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

actually, when you enable turbo mode and set multiplier to 22x, real voltage applied is higher than what you set in BIOS, so in the end, applied voltage is about the same at 4GHz

16. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

no need to enable turbo mate, just lock the multi at 22... wors fine for me. :)

Tags: Add Tags