1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel plans to deliberately limit Sandy Bridge overclocking

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jul 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

That sucks, Im sure mobo companies will find a way round it tho.......or at least I hope they do :worried: I guees its intel trying to draw a line between main stream and enthuast. After all, the line was very blurred between the two with LGA1156 and LGA1366. This could also lay into AMDs hands but only if AMD have a product to offer.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

looks to me like intel has decided to make money from overclocking.

"buy the 3Ghz sandy bridge for £100 blah blah blah NO OVERCLOCKING" but .....

"check out our 3Ghz sandy bridge with UNLOCKED MULTI for £350"

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Absolutely. Intel wants to up-sell you as much as it possibly can to make money. Don't expect any more G6950, i3-530, i5-750 or i7-920s to really offer that much value though. And no more competition and discussion among enthusiasts unless you can afford the K-series, as that is the only totally unlocked multiplier. No base clock makes motherboard tweaking an almost entirely defunct pass-time.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm sure Asus and Gigabyte will figure out a way, otherwise I hope people will all switch to AMD.

edit: typed that on iphone, hence short response.

overclocking is core of PC gaming experience (at least for many users here) so if they remove this option, i will sure be jumping onto AMD ship. however, it will also depend on price difference, if the K chip is only £50 more than cheapest of the same architecture (i7 875k vs i7 860) and it performs miles faster than AMD's, then it may be worth it.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2010
  6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

If this sticks, then jumping ship to AMD. They might not be the fastest compared to i7 but at least they have a good platform.

Thing is the market that overclocks and play games, tend be younger cash strapped students which boardline on going to the darkside that is console gaming.

7. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Agreed, if this is the case, there's a 6 core CPU with my name on it, just below the AMD logo.

8. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Arghhhhhh - that is all.

9. SPNKR

SPNKR Pretty Good Kid

Remember, this decision could be just a cost saving move for the p-series chipset. I would not be surprised if Intel keeps the external clock generator for the successor to X58. This could be to make the next X58 more enthusiast oriented than P55, so they don't compete like they do now.

10. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

and this is how intel will fail

i mean seriously just why, there is no point.

yes they may make a bit more money but few people will buy there top range CPUs as they are so over priced tbh

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Yes this sounds bad, but if the Intel chips at their stock speeds still manage to blow AMD chips at their overclocked speeds out of the water, at a simular price point then Enthuisiasts will still go for Intel as they will still be the performance leader. Yes tweaking and getting even more performance will be curtailed but if it is pure performance you want, then it is, and always has been been purely about the numbers.

12. bowman

bowman Minimodder

****ing hell.

Now, I haven't actually bothered overclocking my i7 920. There's no need.

But this still astounds me and I find it annoying on a principal level.

Hopefully AMD's Bulldozer will be both good in stock form and enthusiast-friendly. Maybe Intel will rethink if they're losing the great marketing of enthusiast and extreme OC builds.

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

F--k thee, Intel.

Especially when you will still continue raking in the cash with the unknowing consumers gobbling up your chips.

14. OWNED66

OWNED66 What's a Dremel?

F**K you very much intel
    i guess ill have to switch to amd argh
    but i doubt this if this in anyway is true
    almost every company will fail

15. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

My first processor in my first build was an intel core 2 duo E6700.

My next 7 processors were all intel and all overclocked.

My next processor will probably be an AMD!!!!

16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Smells to me like they're just trying to justify the pricing for the high end chips tbh, Im not overly happy about the move, but if anything it gives AMD a massive chance to bring something to the table.

Realistically though how many people will this affect? i would have thought the majority of chips sold are to oems, which usually spec crap mobos that limit the OC potential anyway. It only seems to 'cripple' a minority market imo of which im a member GRRRRRRR.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hopefully a lesson is learnt by the time I have to upgrade from my 4Ghz i7-920.

18. t1alek

t1alek Mind modder.

I think this will be a general trend in the future moving towards even more standardisation at the cost of room for tweaking. Apple's resurgence the past decade is the ultimate symbol of this trend.
    With pc's becoming so mainstream there is an inherent craving for simplicity and stability that cannot be overheard nobody wants to don the geek-glasses because of a bsod, computers are also mature enough that it should be expected by now, this could have severe implications on the homebuild pc over time. As it could render them a moot point.

Besides to most people there are not many tasks left that are truly limited by the cpu alone.
    ..and of course taking more money for more performance, does make sense, when you are the one selling it.

19. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

I have an i7 920. I won't be upgrading for years. A Quad core with hyperthreading, that is OC-able to 3.5-4.0GHz? No wonder Intel want to close the OC-ing option!

20. bladesavage

bladesavage What's a Dremel?

Monopoly is bad. Intel's is enjoying it for so long. AMD should make a significant comeback for the sake of all of us enthusiasts and the entire computer industry

Tags: Add Tags