1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News APB player stats revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Aug 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

bstards

3. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I hope they fall... and fall hard

edit: I hope the DEVs hack it and remove their code that hasn't been paid for.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  4. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

It would be interesting to see how the development budget got spent. One of the most expensive games in history, yet one which is rightly seen as having a tiny amount of content, where did all that money go?

5. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

$28 per month for an MMO?! That is madness.

6. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

dead game, dead company. coulda predicted it before release.

7. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

is it not illegal to not pay your staff

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

That revenue will only go down. I doubt many new players will join, many of those that are there will likely get bored or not want to spend cash for fear of the servers going down if the company folds. As for the amount, chances are people have paid an hourly or whatever timed rate they had on offer, so those people will likely see sense and go for the cheaper monthly rate.

The managers sound like *******s, but I suppose that's to be expected when you hear it from the wife of someone who was sacked. I hope the exRTWers have got their claims in, but unfortunately they'll have to get in line with all the others queueing up for money from the company.

9. ADJB

ADJB What's a Dremel?

Is that the same Ian Hetherington that was financial director at Imagine when that went bust and who also took unfinished IP to a new company? (Psygnosis)

10. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

$28 Dollars (Roughly £18) per month, there are more suckers than I thought.....

11. fodder

fodder Minimodder

Is it a game for Mac owners? :p

12. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

haha

13. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The pricing model is interesting, because though they can quote numbers like $28 per customer per month, most players I know play for free, by selling items gained in game for RTW points, then trading those points in for game time. So I guess there must be a large number of players will to pay real money for in game items and cash in order to get ahead or stay competitive. Which is understandable, but not sustainable, because there is not so much stuff in the game to buy.

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Same guy, he then co-founded Psygnosis. Easily one of my favorite developers, especially their Metal Fatigue game.

15. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Why is it that thunder-gits like this always sneer their way to millions...

...then spend it on cars.

Am I the only person in the world who values the thought that his actions don't seem hopelessly materialistic and predictable?

16. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I played the beta and was appalled how bad the game was. Lost interest ever since.

17. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

hmmm and the earlier arguements by THQ about losing money and second hand games, the C&VG market is a cynical one eh. Far too many people believe they can get rich very fast by producing sub-standard over priced tat. I would like to justify that last statement but i ain`t paying $28 p/m to back-up the statement

18. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Where did the £100 million go?

Thats a lot of liquid lunches.

19. DaBigDog

DaBigDog What's a Dremel?

Some things don't make sense, no way is that number of 130,000 users spending $28/month current data - I'm guessing that's from the first month when people dived in and got carried away.

even if the data was 100% kosher, that's pushing £3m/month in revenue, 200 developers on reasonable average salary and offices to put them in won't cost more than @£1m/month. Assuming the salaries are @70% of costs them means @£1.6m/month in profit - how much money did they think they were going to make to cover the sort of investment numbers that are being mentioned.

Although with £100m in development, you would have thought that would have delivered a better product than this, although in all fairness it does seem more like a Ad man's idea of how to build a game, "let's see - GT3, WoW and Farmville - these are all the top earner's in there class, so combining them into 1 game has GOT to be a winner"

... ohh dear

My sympathies for the Dev's, sounds like they got royally shafted on this one...

20. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Makes me wonder with so many game companys folding that the path many developers are following isn't safe for customers....you know the release of a small initial game at full retail cost mind you followed by frequent DLC.....but what if the developer folds.....you end up having purchased what amounts to little more than a glorified demo and naada else.

Tags: Add Tags