1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia moves into retail

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

look... nVidia looks alot like 3DFX... *annoying* the AIB's

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Oct 2010
  3. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

I Think there not actually and this is just Best buy doing it.,

4. McSteel

McSteel Shape Memory Alloy

In buying 3DFX, nVidia seems to have bought and swallowed their business models and ethics as well...
    It's just another one in a series of bad moves on green team's part, the previous one being disabled PhysX when there's an ATi/AMD card (even if it's integrated in the SB) present in the system alongside nVidia's...

5. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

The phrase "shooting onesself in the foot" is resonating loudly. I guess nVidia is trying to fill the XFX void, but entering the same market of your customer AIBs is foolish at best.

6. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

I don't really know about the Best Buy stores but it doesn't really sound like those are the kind of stores that sell retail graphics cards anyway, not really a big deal for NV's board partners unless they expand their operations.

Getting rid of XFX though sounds punishment for going for the red team. Dumb move on NV's part and XFX make great AMD cards anyway.

7. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

nVidia is selling these graphic cards in Best Buy... And this could be an experiment... If they do well, why not "attack" everywhere else?

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

always wondered why they relied on 3rd parties to build and sell their product

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

re post but, should also mean cheaper prices for us rather than double loading the profits

10. Domestic_ginger

Domestic_ginger What's a Dremel?

Newegg have been banded around too.

A point someone else made was that are bestbuy now an NV partner themselves? They just don't put their name on the product?

And as for cheaper; I'm not sure bestbuy offer great prices from what I've heard but could be completely wrong.

11. roblikesbeer

roblikesbeer Bindi's sex slave.

Why would you want to buy a reference card anyway?

12. kempez

kempez modding again!

Why not?

Grab a (hopefully cheaper), reference card, grab a 3rd party air or watercooler and you've got a good bargain. The amount some manufacturers add on for their 'extreme' cards is ridiculous anyway

13. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I'd quite like a 'reference' card. If i'm water cooling it, why pay extra for a fancy cooler, or an overclock I can do myself.

...so long as it's cheap. I don't want to subsidise a partners marketing budget, just give me a card!

14. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

They made great Nvidia cards too. I was really looking forward to an XFX GTX480 but I went EVGA.

15. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i love reference cards. definitely more room for tweaking. and modding. and everything else. without paying the premium for stuff id throw away as soon as i rip open the cardboard.

of course, being its in best buy, we all know the price is going to be premium anyway....

dunno bout US or UK, but here in Canada, in all (i mean most places in many provinces ive visited) best buys, graphic cards are at least 150% the price of e-tailers like newegg or ncix....

16. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Yeah XFX was a great board vendor for NV with the lifetime warranty and they made great NV cards and still do but my comment was more in reference to the fact that they are doing pretty well on the AMD side of things so cutting them off as an NV board vendor is just NV shooting themselves in the foot.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

best buy probably couldnt get the deal they were after by going to distribution, so went directly to source

18. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

"Today, Best Buy. Tommorow, the world?"

more like "Today Best Buy, tomorrow Bankruptcy." Damn it nVidia, wake up and make some good bang for the buck video cards again!

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Like the 460?

20. October

October Mariachi Style

Hadn't they already moved to concentrate on AMD? I thought I read they hadn't made any 4xx's and were concentrating on the 5000 series?

Tags: Add Tags