1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware QNAP TS-219P Turbo NAS Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Fractal

Fractal I Think Therefore I Mod

Very nice. A pity it is still far more economic to re-purpose an old computer or build a new cheap one than too buy a NAS. This discrepancy seems to increase with the number of HDDs one wants to support.

3. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

and for the data rate as well still quite poor these devices can't do HDD speeds even when using gigabit networking (large file copy should be 80MB/s at least or maxed out (110-120MB/s) when in RAID 0)

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I don't think there's anything wrong with the product, I just think it sits in a rather uneasy niche. Anyone savvy enough to understand what one of these does and want to own one is also likely to be savvy enough to knock one up out of third-hand parts for a lot less money.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

At the bottom of page one of the review, you mention the Synology NAS products yet these do not appear in the test results.

Can we expect to see a review of the Synology devices?

6. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, we're intending to get the reviews finished off so they can be published later this week.

7. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I know this is odd question but since these can function as DLNA devices, what about an article or a test on which work best serving out media to PS3/360 and the like?

For instance PS3 hates MKV files, so need to be transcoding, normally needing a PC, but can these boxes do that?

Kimbie

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

which Synology are you reviewing?

i've got Ds410j filled with 8TB worth of disks. it is brilliant in features, although a bit slow. to be honest, i don't think you really need speed with NAS boxes, it's for storage, as long as it can be used to store the data you want to save from disk failures. besides, as long as its speed is fast enough for streaming a couple PC HD contents, why bother with wanting faster?

9. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

We're concentrating on dual-bay NAS boxes for now, so have reviews of the DS210+ and DS210J in the works.

10. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

Cool - looking forward to those reviews...Synology seems to have rave followers, so keen to see how they perform after a bit-tech grilling ;)

11. wyx087

well, don't forget to put on DSM 3 firmware. i just noticed my NAS has been updated to DSM 3.0, might update to it tonight, multi-tasking desktop interface in your browser!

12. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

I think NAS are really meant for company and small bizness normal guy will be Ok with teir PC and usb hdd and tech passionnate will prefer to build their.

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Given that this is an "always on" device, what is its power consumption?

14. Burdman27911

Burdman27911 What's a Dremel?

+1. Power consumption is great to know, both for idle and during file transfers.

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I'll get back to you on that but it's less than 25W with a single hard disk installed.

It has indeed - we tested with both the stock and DSM 3 - the latter came out as we were finishing testing though we had very limited time to play with it. Watch this space!

You say that but NAS's are very popular. If you just have one PC that you leave on all the time, that's fair enough, but if you have several PCs which are rarely on at the same time and want to share/sync data from a single location, this is very difficult to do without a NAS box. In addition, NAS boxes can act as media servers and can run bit-torrent clients without any need for a PC to be running.

16. travisco_nabisco

travisco_nabisco What's a Dremel?

smallnetbuilder.com did a review and found the power consumption was 9W idle and 28W active.

I have an IoMega 2 drive NAS and while I could have built my own for around the same price, maybe cheaper, I can not match the low power consumption of a dedicated unit. Also if you buy the right brand you can often get root access to the OS and modify the features a bit for your own needs.

17. wyx087

got DSM 3 for my Synology Ds410j, my god it's fantastic. over 30% speed increase in RAID 5, and 100% speed increase in single disk volume. (in fact, pretty sure F3eco 2TB can only do 70MB/s sustained transfer rate)

interface is brilliant, feels like using a computer, except it's within my browser. it's so well programmed that i can even access desktop version through my iphone without any problem.

only thing didn't love was that they've removed the list of process that usually appears next to resource graph. no biggie, some Putty and "top" will do.

hope Bit-tech will do a proper review on DSM 3.0. it's brilliant. in fact, anyone can try this out here: http://www.synology.com/enu/products/demo/index.php

Fingers66 likes this.
  18. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Just tried it...

...wow! Absolutely brilliant! +rep on that mate (excuse the new folder called "wuyanxu") :D.

:thumb:

19. travisco_nabisco

travisco_nabisco What's a Dremel?

Have they added better NTFS support for USB attached HDD's? I ask because at my company we have a DS1010+ and copying data to the external NTFS HDD is very, very slow.

20. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

nope, they can't

Tags: Add Tags