1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia announces GeForce GT 540M

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 7 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yay rebranding! Back to the good old 9000-series days, eh?

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"'with [the] GeForce GT 540M, we are taking an already proven architecture [the GeForce GT 435M] and using the maturity of the manufacturing process to create GPUs with higher clock settings while staying in the same power envelope.'"

Or, in other words, we can make the same part for cheaper, give it a new name, and charge the unknowing saps more money.

4. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I wish someone would rebrand my salary to a higher number.

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I'm hoping the 540, or when they do it finally, the 560 will be working hand in hand with a new i7 from intel to give us quad core + optimus.

That said, this is only going to lead to confusing considering ATI's model names are vastly similar. Though really to be honest, how many laptop buyers even know what they're getting into anyway.

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

While I do hate old architectures popping up with model numbers suggesting otherwise, I am pretty sure AMD also does the same.

And as far as the actual market goes, nVidia's biggest selling point (at least for me) in the laptop market is Optimus. I have seen it in all its forms over on Anandtech, and I have to say I really hope AMD pull their finger out and get something similar.

7. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Nah, something better than optimus as it's still wasteful. The Intel intecrapalated paint drawer is still left on in optimus as a frame buffer, probably guzzing power and most likely adding some delay or impact on performance (it's bound to be eating extra cpu cycles).

Tags: Add Tags