1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Phone 7 hits 1.5 million milestone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Havn't used one myself yet but i have a few friends that moved from an Iphone to a HTC Desire with no regrets.
    Infact so far they all agree that they think its alot better than the Iphone.

I'll most likely be looking at one when my contract runs out too.

3. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

The desire is android though?

I reckon it will take a while for people to adopt it, but if microsoft can really make a go of it apple could have something to worry about.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

desire is andriod correct

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

ha nvm i got the phone mixed up, but its a win7 variant.

Havn't had a phone for a good 6 months i'm a little behind in some regard.

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Wow, disappointment for Microsoft. My sister in law got a Phone7 device when they first came out (I can't remember exactly what it was), but she exchanged it for a Desire HD (which she loves) because it kept crashing. 1.5 million shipped in 6 weeks is poor. Didn't they sell more Kinects?

7. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I've been using the Windows Phone 7 since launch and it's never crashed or hung or anything else. Much better feel to it than the iPhone4. Can't say anything about android as I have not used them personally but I have had friends who have sent them back for one reason or another.

The main problem for Windows Phone 7 is that everything is marketed as apps and therefore targeted for the iPhone. Not Microsofts fault, just the public perception.

There is nothing I can't do on this handset that iPhone OS or Android can.

I'm using the Samsung Omnia 7, whilst my son uses the HTC Trophy 7. My wife and daughter both use an iPhone4, so I can make exact comparisons.

8. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

I think this will be the shape of things to come. As with PCs at the moment most people will be more concerned about the browser than the OS. As hardware and networks improve the Apps fad will fade out in favour of good quality websites.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I think this is great news for Microsoft.
    Sure it's not great numbers. But for them to enter this late in the game, and not get failing numbers like Kin, this shows that Microsoft has potential, and has fighting power to grow even more and provide a real hard competition into the phone market. Apple vs Android vs Windows Phone vs Blackberry. More competition is very welcomed, and this could also mean more push on service providers to stop blocking updates, and stop putting un-removable (or can't install back) crap software, and possibly better data plans.

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i'd say considering how late they joined, these numbers are ok. but, i'm really sick of MS trying to copy everybody else. i'm just glad that they're on the bottom end for once. the zune hasn't really done that well but imo its a lot better than ipod. as far as i'm aware, windows phone 7 is overall worse than android phones or iphones.

this just shows microsoft that fame and money can't get you everything.

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Actually, Microsoft is a very innovative company. Do they copy? For sure they do, and so is everyone else. You just don't have your time line correct on what was announced/released.
    A pure example, if go watch some Windows Longhorn video, half the features you can see Apple copied later, including time machine (system/file restore in Vista/Win7), instant search, gadgets, an so on. Linux KDE interface was for many years copying Mac OS and Windows (http://www.kde.org/screenshots/, look at the early versions).

Zune interface and Windows phone 7 is extremely original, and very innovative.
    The problem with the Zune, is that it's only sold in the U.S (did it finally come to countries who has Zune pass?), and advertisement is minimal to none. Zune popularity goes more with people talking about it, rather than advertisement. Also, Zune focus is MUSIC first. The sound chi, even no the early models are superior than the current iPod. The difference is noticeable with high quality MP3's. But it seams people in the state prefer low quality music for more mostly useless applications. As now the future is phone + MP3 players... I think Microsoft essentially gave up the Zune, and really focuses on Windows Phone 7. With more advertisement I think it can better. So far I haven't see 1 single TV ad of Windows Phone 7 in Canada. Only street posters on 2-3 streets downtown.

12. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

can you go into detail? what exactly is worse?

13. leslie

leslie Just me!

WAIT!
    Don't go patting them on the back just yet.

Shipping, has NOTHING to do with actual sales.
    They could ship 20million, it doesn't mean anyone actually wants, will or has bought it.

14. schmidtbag

i wouldn't say MS is innovative, but they just take something and they know how to make it appealing. i don't really care about products copying ideas, what i care about is what features are good, how much were the features polished, how much does it cost, and what additional things are offered. i actually use KDE with debian linux as my main computer. it offers all of the best features that windows 7, mac, and GNOME have, it does it more efficiently than all 3, and its free. it blatantly copies many interfaces, but i don't mind - i see that as a form of comfort of familiarity.

the zune interface is definitely original and effective. i haven't seen too much of what the windows phone 7 does but to me it looks like any other smart phone with much larger buttons and a more bluish theme. i wasn't aware zune was only sold in US. it was actually pretty well advertised, but as i see it, people didn't go for it because most people don't seem to understand that its an alternative to ipods, which many people put in it's own category (when they're all just mp3 players), or people would rather go with what is and has been the most popular for several years.
    i'd have to completely disagree on "people in the states prefer low quality music for more useless applications". considering the population and diversity of the country, thats a very specific generalization. personally, i'm not an audiophile but i am a hardware and software enthusiast and i don't have a smart phone mostly because i find nearly all of the apps on it useless or would slow me down.

microsoft hasn't given up the zune, they do have the zune HD which i think has a touch screen - its supposed to be their response to the ipod touch, but it was incredibly unpopular.

in the end, advertisements are how you get your product known. but its what it does that gets it popular. windows isn't popular because of advertisements. in fact it barley has any memorable advertisements at all, but most of the world uses it. the reason is because of compatibility - everything works on it. apple advertises macs constantly. imo, mac is designed much better than windows (btw, i find it utterly useless and i'll never buy one, i just think its made very well). if macs are a very satisfactory product with lots of advertisements, then with your theory it should do better than windows.
    zune doesn't really need more advertising, it just needs to give people a reason to switch to it. the price of a zune isn't good enough for something many people don't have the patience to experiment with.

15. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

All I can say is that if Microsoft have sold at least a good amount of these shipped phones, they are doing pretty well. Considering that this is a ridiculously competitive market (how many can you think of that are more so? Not that many at all, I bet...), that's so dominated by the iPhone, and now the new focus being Android...maybe Microsoft can pull this together and really become a big player in the market.

Seeing from Microsoft's recent software successes, Windows 7, and now this...as I've said before, in my eyes I think that they have really started to innovate and are really creating something fantastic. Had a good play with the Omnia 7, and thought WP7 is fantastic.

And all the while, I'd say Apple are starting to lose it a bit here...

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

I think you hit the nail square on the head here. Lets start with one major stopping block of the zune HD, I can't walk into a store in Canada and buy one. I have a 220$ instore credit at best buy waiting for the day that I can buy a zune HD or an HD2 if it ever happens...

The zune 80 and 120GB versions sold used on kijiji and craigs list go for almost what they sold for brand new. The brand loyalty is immense because once you have the product, it's rare to find someone who doesn't like it.

As for the win7 phones. I still have my 6.1 with HTC sense on it and I love it. I don't see any reason to upgrade to anything else with the exception of better hardware.

With the way that phones are going, I think the end decision to buy apple, android, or windows(blackberry?) will simply come down to brand loyalty. All the phones let you do the same thing.

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

-Zune HD is mentioned in a thread
    -I need to remind people of how awesome my Zune HD is

done

18. Snips

From my own personal experience and not generalised sweeping statements. My Samsung Omnia 7 Windows Phone is far better than the iPhone4. I own both and can make direct comparisons. I have friends with Android wanting to use my phone and are claiming it does things far more effeciently and faster.

So how have you come to your "overall worse" declaration?

19. schmidtbag

i heard about how it had the least amount of apps and its the least stable. i'm sure there are other problems that i'm not aware of, and i'm not surprised if it has things that are better. i guess saying "overall worse" would be wrong of me to say, but i wouldn't say its better than iphone or android either.

20. Snips

Android and iPhone did not launch with vast amounts of apps when they first came out.

However, the stability you've stated just isn't true by my personal experience. I have had no instability problems whatsoever. I also haven't heard of these problems from any other source.

Tags: Add Tags