1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Sandy Bridge Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 3 Jan 2011.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. shokwaav

shokwaav What's a Dremel?

i'm surprised... i would think that the i7 - 2600k would be better than the i5 unlocked :S

3. rizshinigami

rizshinigami What's a Dremel?

hmm i'm curious about the overclocked cpu temperature

4. KevinT

KevinT What's a Dremel?

WOW, I am so glad I held off on a new PC until now. Those overclocked power consumption numbers made my jaw drop... and prompted me to register just to post this comment.

Thank you for the early review, bit-tech staff! Can't wait to start my build! =)

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

TBH - for a next gen chip, the performance jump is less than stellar. I'm not very impressed :/

6. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Well the ball's in AMD's court. @$250 Intel is pretty persuasive atm, lucky for them I don't plan to buy anything for at least another 3 months.

7. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

WHAT! ....No ....No ...No, it can't be?!! I've been dreading this moment, I'm looking at my SR2 with a raised eyebrow! How long has my red & black beauty got doctor?!! :(

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Do you actually mean 2012, or was this article written last year?

Last edited by a moderator: 3 Jan 2011
  9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Why does it get beaten by the 950 in Crysis.

10. blink

blink stay cold

I've been out of the CPU market for a few years and never knew that much about them in the first place other than how to install them but is this going to be another case of Intel kicking the crap out of AMD or are AMD's new APU's going to be able to seriously compete? I realize there are differences (the DirectX issue for one) but, in terms of overall performance, what's the best guess as to whether AMD is going to be able to compete in a real way and not just have "decent" APU's at a lower cost?

Just for the record, I am a not a fanboy of either company. ATM, I have one Intel based machine and one AMD based. If the AMD APU's are going to be close performance-wise, I would like to support them (if for no other reason than to help keep them in the game overall) but I don't want to wait only to be disappointed either.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Now this is a bit of tech news I've been eagerly waiting for :thumb:.
    Intel Core i5-2500K (4.9GHz)
    Hell yes :D & the power usage is even more impressive :jawdrop:, very glad I held out since socket 775 & ddr2, saved up & spent a tenner in the steam sales so I might be able to jump over to p67 at launch if prices for other parts are nice :D.

BTW Bindi your bann hammer avatar is speeded up all hyper like :lol: a giddy Bindi :D.

12. Toka

Toka Minimodder

what the hell, no overclocking!?!!

oh, wait.

13. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I still can't decide between an i5-2500S or a standard 2500 for my mITX H67 based build...

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No 4.9GHz £80 G6950 any more though :(

15. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

graphic performance is still very lacking. An old Geforce 9300M is still faster.

16. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Honestly, for people who read bit-tech it does not matter at all. Everyone here runs a discrete GPU. And for people who don't game the integrated GPU's offer enough power, and way more than the terrible and old Intel integrated graphics. Although, these numbers are amazing I kind of agree it's a shame we probably won't see amazing OC potential from the successors of the G6950 and the i3 540... Still, can't complain about the numbers for OC'd CPU's. I wonder what Intel is going to do when the K series will start outselling all the others combined.

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Well I for one am happy to have held off the q6600 upgrade until these reviews appeared. Excellent performance/price ratio - someones going shopping soon :)

18. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm just going by my knowledge on Intel's previous gen 'S' CPUs, might not apply here.

I'm not sure exactly what Intel locks down in their non 'K' chips, but if you can undervolt and underclock the normal 2500 then it's not worth getting the 'S'.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

yeah me too. still with a q6600. though I abused it so badly that it won't run faster than 2.8ghz anymore...

When are these new cpu's out???

20. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The numbers are pretty incredible. The performance of future hexa and octo cores will be frightening.

Tags: Add Tags