1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Synology USB Station 2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 15 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

All it needs is USB3 and I would consider getting one

:edit: and it also looks like you can get 20+ Mb per second upload/download if you use EXT4, something many of us would be fully willing to do

Last edited: 15 Jan 2011
  3. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

External drives should be able to do 30-35 MB/sec on a large file transfer on USB2 (at least the WD MyBook 1TB does), could the Synology be slowing it down further, or the USb controller on the external drive itself wasn't up to the task?

4. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I agree, a USB3 or SATA version would be great if it had inputs for up to 8 drives, then I could put all my hard drives in external enclosures, hook them all in to this box, put it all in a cupboard so I don't hear them and just use my SSD in my actual PC for pure silence.

I hate the noise or hard drives and for some reason Win7 decides to wake all mine up once an hour or two and makes my PC a bit noisier for 15 mins until they shut down again if idle which can be annoying if I'm watching a film.

BTW the first sentence needs fixing, it's missing an 'are' before 'considering'.

5. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

yes, add usb3 and sata support and improve design please

6. kingosticks

kingosticks What's a Dremel?

You say "only costing £80 more" but when the device costs ~£75 in the first place....

7. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Then buy Areca ARC-5040 RAID Tower and be happy (don't look at the price LOLZ)

http://www.areca.com.tw/products/esatafirewire800iscsiaoeusb.htm

Anyone who thinks that NAS is useful addition for home applications is mad. At home only DAS, no matter ready build or a bit of DIY. Any kind of backup of watching movies over 100/1000 Ethernet takes ages. How transfer around 20-50MB/s could be satisfactory to anyone is beyond me. In particular now with USB3. Even small PCI-Ex x1card which is limited to 250MB/s is just what is required for external storage for home purposes. You don't even need hardware RAID card, there is plenty of 4 drive boxes with USB3 interface offering software RAID (preferably 10, RAID5 on soft = BIG PAINNNN because there is no dedicated XOR chip and no on-board cache).

8. Bascule

Bascule What's a Dremel?

Anyone who thinks that NAS is useful addition for home applications is mad. At home only DAS, no matter ready build or a bit of DIY. Any kind of backup of watching movies over 100/1000 Ethernet takes ages. How transfer around 20-50MB/s could be satisfactory to anyone is beyond me. In particular now with USB3. Even small PCI-Ex x1card which is limited to 250MB/s is just what is required for external storage for home purposes. You don't even need hardware RAID card, there is plenty of 4 drive boxes with USB3 interface offering software RAID (preferably 10, RAID5 on soft = BIG PAINNNN because there is no dedicated XOR chip and no on-board cache).[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I must be quite mad then! I have a DiscStation that serves 4 PCs, an Xbox and a PS3 and is quite satisfactory, thanks. I think you're missing the point i.e. the N of NAS. Transfer speeds may be great via a directly-attached drive, but what about the other users on the network? Unless the drive is shared and attached to an always-on PC, transfer speeds to other network users will effectively be zero. For light file sharing applications on a small network this sort of thing is ideal.

Tags: Add Tags