1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Radeon HD 6990 Pictured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 26 Jan 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

2011: The year when single Graphics Cards are the same size as popular games consoles from a decade earlier.

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Gargantuan one might say.

4. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

I think I might have a spot of bother getting this into my Shuttle XPC case....

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

As it's been pointed out in the forums, a site stated that 'it's the same lengths as a piece of A4 paper' meaning it's 300mm, or about the same length as the 5970.

Going be the length of the PCI-E connector I'd guess at 13"

6. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Pricing information for the card was not discussed at the event, Well it will be expensive that's for sure

7. the_kille4

the_kille4 Chaos will rule da world.eventually

But didn't the article at 4chan say that the power would be through two 8pins or another configuration with an added six pin for oc'ed cards? Instead of having just one six pin and one eight pin?

But that would also mean that the power draw of this card would be quite big with a size just over 300 km...

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Interesting that they moved the GPUs to the edges. I guess the vrm circuitry is all in the middle, versus the prior designs that had a GPU near the back, a GPU in the middle, and the vrms for both at the front end.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

As the article says, it is not clear yet what power connection configuration it will be.

Also, a 300km card is rather a large card...:D

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

4GB of RAM on a graphics card.. I can't help but wonder what 32-bit XP would make of that.
    I don't think I want to know.

11. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

What kind of resolution do you have to be running to notice a difference from 4GB of vRAM?

12. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Based on the way this card vents, we may need to change the way we have airflow in cases. Maybe intake on the sides, and exhaust at the front, rear, and top?

13. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

I really fail to see the point in this card tbh.

I'm probably just being an ignorant twonk but where is the advantage of this compared to sli / xfire which would be considerably cheaper?

By advantage i mean an area where it will outperform a multi-card setup so drastically that it will be worth the undoubtedly astronomical pricetag

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think point of this card is so that low end P55/P67 motherboard owners can use crossfire without limited by their motherboard.

15. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

4GB of RAM = pricey

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I really don't know why but I really do like these larger GPU cards. I don't own one myself and never have as my 3 previous cards have been pretty normal and probably half the size of this one. Even from personal experience or lack of and not knowing whether it would fit. Regardless of the whether it was AMD or Nvidia, I do think they are more aesthetically pleasing to look at. They may be impracticle but they do look cool to me.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Why on Earth would you have a low end board and then spend the serious amount of cash for the GPU? Surely people who would buy this card are rocking high-end setups anyway, and just want to have the ability to CrossFire a pair of pre-Crossfired cards for 4 GPUs...

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i5 2500k + a £100 motherboard + this card = some very good gaming performance.

lower end motherboard doesn't mean less performance, just means more features that you usually don't need. so why spend more on features you don't ever need?

19. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

For bragging rights? You underestimate the power of e-peen.

20. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I dunno. The 1GB 6950 is only ~$20 cheaper than the 2GB version (and that is based on RRP, you can actually get 2GB versions that are only $10 more expensive). I think the two GPUs and the sheer amount of stuff (the amount of copper, components etc) on the PCB is going to be the real cost.

Tags: Add Tags