1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia ditches Symbian for Windows Phone 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 11 Feb 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. PegasusM

PegasusM Stand back, I'm doing science

about time lol

3. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

failing together is more meaningful then failing by one self?

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

If, and I do say if, we get a mobile device with Nokia's battery life, the legendary Carl Zeiss lenses, a processor equal to that of it's competitor's while running MS WP7 I would be most happy to look at Nokia in future. Is there any news on when WP7 will filter through and start to appear on devices? I heard the N9 was held back... Is that device likely to go WP7 now?

5. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

So he basically has no confidence at all in their OS developers, lol.

Not really surprised; Nokia made some fantastic phones in the past (8310i, 6310i) but some products were just pants. e.g. the N770 Internet Tablet which was badly specced, had almost no app support, only took rs-mmc cards (wtf!) and had no SIM slot (wtf! x 1,000).

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Judging from the comments section on many blogs, you'd think Nokia was being killed off. I'll beg to differ and believe that this is what Nokia needs. Sure, it's a risk (and a very big one at that), but the alternative is to watch the company slide into irrelevance.

I'm actually more worried about the future of WP7 - other manufacturers, notably HTC (who wanted to bring Sense over), are going to be peeved that Nokia gets to customise it more than others.

7. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Windows Phone 7 is a slick piece of software, and it's nice to see it getting more support... I think it's a good move for Nokia, but ultimately their success will depend on users' adoption of Windows Phone 7. Considering we already live in a world where "iPhone" is synonymous with "smartphone" and many users aren't even really aware of alternatives, they've got quite a task in convincing people to sign up.

8. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

This article uses the term phone and smart phone incorrectly.

"Nokia was the dominant player in the mobile phone market until very recently." <- should this read smart phone?

And as for this...
    "As the Wall Street Journal reports, Elop joined Nokia from Microsoft five months ago, so the move is perhaps even less of a shock."

A setup I'm sure..

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Not going to happen. Nokia has good battery life because of lowend hardware. With WP7 and requirement for a gigahertz CPU, you can say bye bye to good battery life.

10. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I have never been more let down by a product or company before (and I had a Windows ME pc back in the day ;) ). The way us gullible adopters of the N97 were hung out to dry was terrible. I'd forgive them for messing up the product, but they could have done so much more to ease the pain and at least make their former users feel supported.

I don't care what comes of this, I'll never trust Nokia again as a company.

11. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

this is great news!!!

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

N'ah, Nokia haven't been leaders in the smartphone market for ages, at least not in the UK. Here, Samsung sell more products than Nokia do these days.

13. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I also think this is great new i loved nokia phones and still do tuff as old boots and great for work. It's gona be great to see a 3rd player on the field

14. red4our

red4our ¿Qué es un Dremel?

I agree with Toploaded. Nokia's product performance and customer support over the last 18 months has been woeful and disappointing. At least they seem to recognize they're flogging a dead horse with Symbian but I don't think they'll make Win 7 their sole OS platform in the long run.

15. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

I have always used Nokia and have been very happy with their products. I loved symbian. It may be because I dont care about apps or eye candy in the slightest, but it does have the most functionality. It is one of the only mobile operating systems to have a file browser, and the first to have flash support. It was also the first to have multitasking. I am extremely happy with my n900 now, although it runs maemo not symbian. The 5800 was brilliant, loads more features and loads less locked in than other phone. The n97 wasn't good at launch, but that was later fixed with software update. I really can't understand why people don't like symbian, its my favourite mobile os after Maemo.

The reason why Nokia have lower end hardware is because the OS is more efficient, so doesn't need the extra power. My n900 only has a 650Mhz cpu but I can still decompress an 7zip, render a 720p video, listen to music and browse a desktop website at the same time without it being laggy. The specs don't matter much, it's how you implement them.

Unless Win Phone 7 get alot better I just hope they'll change to MeeGo in the future. Microsoft and Apple both suck. The only thing Windows is good for is games, and Mac sucks for everything. Linux Maemo was brilliant, why not revive Maemo or use it's replacement: MeeGo?

16. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Great news!

The combination of Nokia hardware (they make the best phone hardware out there, as far as I'm concerned), plus some solid software to run on it should be a winner! If only the Nokia N8 wasn't running Symbian!

Here's hoping this partnership works well. :)

17. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I can't comment on the n900, but I can assure you the N97 was far from fixed. It did get slightly better, and they did include some things that really should have been there at launch for a touch phone (kinetic scrolling ect), but it's still a slow unstable phone that crashes pretty often (to the point you have to take out the battery to reboot it) and the hardware is blatantly not up to multitasking. The file transfer speed using USB is laughable too, which is a shame for a phone with 30gig of mass memory. Don't get me started on the poor implementation of the music player.

(I have, btw, dealt with two entirely different N97's due to one getting stolen and me getting a replacement, both acted the same)

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if not all the so called high end phones (any N phones) seem to suck they crash and other things, but the issue is more with trying to make an OS that's not made for smartphone use (S60) (have you ever tried the wireless on the phone)

19. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Symbian is utter rubbish anyways.. bout time they got this ball rolling.. Looking forward to the results.

20. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

My girlfriend being from England always loved nokia but I always just scratched my head at it.
    Interested to see what this will bring.

Tags: Add Tags