1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla tackles slow Firefox add-ons

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 4 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

No connection with IE9's in-built functionality to do much the same thing... not at all.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

:D I really liked that extra in IE9, it's only natural that everyone copies it :D

4. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

unstable and slow add ons with firefox. Nothing new!

5. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

IE9 all the way, don't want or need FF.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The above comments sound like they're from strange parallel universe where Microsoft is the loved innovative leader being copied by Mozilla, the slow buggy behemoth.

7. Scarlet0pimp

Scarlet0pimp What's a Dremel?

IE 9 is good though so deserves some praise.

8. Snips

and what an excellent place it is!

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Flashgot, Adblock (disabled on BT) and Xmarks...... i got them installed :(

Firefox's cold start speed does need improving, a lot. hopefully this will make developers make more optimised code. i mean with Flashgot, it shouldn't slow down cold startup, it should load with whatever page is loading after the browser shows.

use Apple's methodology to make stuff feel fast: do stuff while thinking. iOS feels smooth and fast because it has these silly animations to let the user know it is doing stuff. if Firefox cold start up shows a window pop out animation, everyone would think it's brilliantly fast.

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Having several good browsers around can only be a good thing. Nothing wrong with a bit of copying of good features.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

People seem to blame firefox's speed problems with Mozilla rather than the little shites who can't code for **** (jesus, where did that come from? I don't talk like that!).

If you run Firefox without addons (I do), then the startup time is almost instant for me.

12. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

IE 9 really deserves praise this time round. They've fixed all problems with slowly running jquery and other script types

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

it's good that they are reaching out to the extensions developers. they are the reason firefox is so attractive to many people as they provide all of the extra features many enjoy. at the same time, they are hindering firefox performance and image due to poor coding. full code audits should be required before release approval when hosted on the official firefox add-ons site.

14. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Yeah microsoft seem to be really on a roll at the moment. Great operating system, great browser, great anti virus.

15. sWW

sWW Minimodder

Does adblock work with IE9? Its the only reason I feel I cannot leave FF. Don't want to watch ads all the time on 4oD etc

16. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

@Bauul. Jumping to conclusions there pal. I dislike IE everything but like previous comments have said IE9 is ok. But I am a chrome user through and through. Tbh on the speed tests they are all pretty much the same think opera and chrome are the faster of the bunch but by a tiny margin. Think its just how the look and feel to the user. You can see that Firefox 4 IMO has taken the chrome simplistic look which I think is better. More screen estate.

17. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I don't care if NoScript does slow the starting time by 16%, I'm still going to use it.

If Mozilla were really worried about speed, they'd ship Firefox with the popular about:config tweaks already set up.
    It's not as if start up speed is the most important thing anyway. You only start up once per session. Where you want the real speed is when it loads web pages.

18. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i've got flashgot - 50%, adblock plus - 21%, greasmonkey 15% & download statusbar - 14% installed.

and i don't find the cold start slow, but its good to see mozilla finally do something about the addons :)

19. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Browsers are so 1999. Why would someone use them anymore? mIRC sockets all the way!

20. Snips

No, it was Prince!

Tags: Add Tags