1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Frozen Synapse Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 2 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It is pretty special, I've been enjoying the beta for quite a while now. Surprised it got 95%, but once it gets under your skin it's pretty lovable.

3. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I saw it on steam and thought FINALLY!

then I saw the price tag. Sadly I'm not sure if I would get my money's worth of enjoyment out of it. Going to wait for a sale methinks.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Bear in mind that you get two copies for the price if you buy it through their site. Buddy up with a friend or someone on the forum and split the cost! Then register the keys on Steam anyway.

5. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

On steam also 2 keys included.

6. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Oh that's cool, giving you an extra key for a friend. I will definitely pick this up sometime.

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I'm sold once I get a replacement motherboard. Anyone got an LGA775 kicking around? My P5K csught fire...

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

It is a fantastic game. There are still one or two bugs to be ironed out though - at one point I had a shotgun who couldn't shoot anyone. Turns out I could get him to work again by using a Clear Focus (even though he hadn't focused on anyone before, and if he had the player he focused on would've been dead) but by that point the odds were stacked heavily against me.

Still, Mode7 are definitely one of the attentive indie dev's, and I've no doubt they'll continue supporting the game with updates for a good long while. They're also likely getting much more feedback now that it's released - in the beta there was just one server now there's about a dozen!

9. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Does anyone know if there any plans for the company to bring this to Android/iOS?

I could see this game would be a total win on a touchscreen device, although probably more the iPad/Honeycomb tablets rather than an iPhone.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I preordered it long ago, thanks to Bit-Tech, and have been enjoying it ever since.

I enjoy their "please don't share the links to your preorder bonus stuff" system. Very trusting.

11. exj

exj What's a Dremel?

Saw this, bought it straight away. One of the few impulse purchase that I didn't regret, even if it's only for the soundtrack itself. First time I saw it, thought it was a game from Introversion. Maybe a 3D action version of Uplink. Speaking of Introversion, keep an eye out for "Subversion".

12. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

+1

13. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I've found that most of my success (against AI) comes when you get a (lucky) kill in first. Once you have numerical advantage, you have much more tactical leverage. If you are outnumbered (as you frequently are), the onus is on you to isolate & tackle one enemy, whilst holding the others at arms length.

I haven't played that much because of a refreshed interest in BFBC2 and ongoing interest in Witcher 2 and WGT. However, given a friend of mine is running a crappy laptop, it's the ideal game for us to play together.

My rating: 85%.

14. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

god this game is hard! Tried like 15 times the FIRST level w/o success. When the enemies carry sniper rifles I'll be done in the title menu!

That's how I like it :D

You want softness? SIt on a pudding!

15. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Paid £14 for the main beta version, and haven't heard anything from these guys since despite other beta (free) users now getting no-cost upgrades to the full product 8-( .

16. CardJoe

I'd contact them through the site then. As far as I know the code should automatically update if you have the beta?

17. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

It looks interesting. I'll pick it up in a Steam sale for sure and that way the dev still gets money for their time and effort.

18. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

That is ****ing awesome. :hehe:

I'm glad to see FS getting a score like this. It's one of those rare things: An indie game that lives up to its hype, meets the expectations of its fans and doesn't rely on artsy-fartsy modern art gimmickry, pseudo-retro appeal or pretentious, high-minded design concepts to make the game good. It just is good.
    Awesome soundtrack, too.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2011
  19. CardJoe

I know it was originally planned as a touchscreen pass-and-play game for the DS, before it evolved to this...

20. Scarlet0pimp

Scarlet0pimp What's a Dremel?

If it was a tenner for 2 copies I would get this so gonna wait for a steam sale.

Tags: Add Tags