1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Sapphire Pure Black P67 Hydra Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 3 Aug 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Wow...
    a very dissappointing show, especially at that pricepoint

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

The idea to have the onboard reset button act as a HDD activity indicator is novel, and good, IMO. I like knowing what my HDD is doing, even if I've got the system out on the bench. Pity about the rest of it.

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

POST code readout is nothing new. Always a nice feature though, helped me with several installation issues with my EVGA x58 SLI LE board.

5. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

but a post code readout that transforms into a CPU temp readout is, as far as I know, unique

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Well, they messed up calling it pure black, the blue bits should be dark grey or black & there should be no red sata ports :hehe:.

7. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

What are the two 6Gb/s SATA controllers and what explains their difference in performance?

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Nah I've had one for ages on one of my motherboards... Or two.

9. b1candy

b1candy What's a Dremel?

So you didn't test the Hydra software or the results for multiple GPU slots occupied, and the board came essentially last in all the benchmarks, and it STILL GOT 62%? What does a motherboard manufacturer have to do to get a sub 50% score? Take a dump in the review box?

It's hard to take these numbers seriously, if everything gets 60%+. 50% should be average, and it should be the standard. 80% should be a golden standard, and 90%+ for board of the year. What I'm going to do from now on is take 50 marks off of every score I read at bit-tech, and that's the result out of 50. So in reality, this board gets 12/50, or 24%. That score tells me it's a board to avoid. 62% gives out the wrong message, or it's to not discourage Sapphire from providing bit-tech with review samples.

10. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Biostar had a great P45 board that could do this trick a few years ago.

11. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Sincerely, back in the AM2 and AM2+ days Sapphire had very neat motherboards, a white pcb and nice colours but in specs weren't something awesome, quite plain and in the middle. I've loved their looks but settling for a motherboard only for its looks is a dumb thing to do.

I was hoping something better, really, quite a let down but if Sapphire is changing their mentality to create worthy motherboards then go ahead, would love some white pcb love with great capabilities.

I think you mean LGA1155 their, after all it's a Z68 chipset not a LGA1156 chipset (P55 or H55)

12. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

Fugly board.

13. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Scores...
    The thing is, we don't look at many average boards - ones with no heatsinks that don't overclock and don't have any fancy features. This board does have some nice additions and overclocked reasonably well (if not fantastically). It's therefore definitely a bit above the bog-standard 50 per cent mark.

We can certainly see your point - if you have a score scale, use the whole range of it - but we're not going to waste everyone's time testing and reviewing these non-overclocking basic boards just to prove the point.

Hope that helps!

14. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

A second thought on the Lucid Hydra...

Think of it instead as a really bloody good alternative to the NF200 chip. Then, it gives you three PCI-E x16s that ARE x16s on P67. Now it's a nice thing. Not a really great thing, but a nice thing.

(spoken from someone that got a Hydra board to run two cards and a RAID controller on P55.)

15. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

Uhh, no. Its a P67 Board (so sandy bridge) therefore LGA1156. Did you read the article? Or even the title!?

16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

17. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Got mixed up of all the socket, not quite the intel fan but trying to keep the news. And yes, I read the article and the title, how on earth would I quote something I believed it was wrong from a whole pile of words?!

After a day's work and hour, I couldn't even remember a single thing, not even what I wrote in here, maybe entered in auto-pilot

Tags: Add Tags