1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OnLive will launch in UK on 22 September

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

The preferred partner being BT almost made me cry, not sure it it was through laughter or despair.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Too bad i like to own my games rather than LEASE them and UK broadband cant cope with this anyay so what a waste as its a pretty good idea shame its gunna take 10 years for it to be feasible

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Hmm integrated with north american service.
    Does that mean the datacenter is in north america. if so then no thanks, the mouse lag made it unplayable when i tried NA servers from UK.
    If the servers are in UK then it MIGHT work. The only issue I have is the multiplayer games are in a closed system, meaning that you will only be playing with others who are using OnLive. Weather that was just the games I tested I dont know, but every MP game I did try everyone on the server was using OnLive.

However, I like building a powerful PC, and their streaming games will never be as good quality as playing the game on my own PC.

5. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

I wonder if they will allow those who use the OnLive service on their PC to play online with those who do not use the service. Or do we think that they will be restricted to only interacting with other OnLive members?

6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

The only way the service can remain fair is to keep it on-live only, otherwise other users, with real computers & no latency, would have a huge advantage.

TSB

7. slasha666

slasha666 What's a Dremel?

Certainly a great way to try out games before committing to buy the full version!

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so you don't buy from Steam/Origin?

its video quality is far from good. so i'll pass until they can do better video quality that uses acceptable bitrate, better than current gen consoles.

9. Tsung

Tsung What's a Dremel?

For this to work they need to make it part of the set-top boxes (Sky, Virgin Media, BT's one), work on getting it built into TV's. People are much more likely to try it if it's already built into existing equipment rather than having to go buy another box to put under the TV. Also if it is include with other devices you can give away free weekends, games demos, etc.

With the proper internet speeds available this service could work, sadly, in the UK this will always be the stumbling block. BT & Virgin are in a speed war where only the areas that benefit currently have the fastest connections. As far as I'm aware, Virgin media are not expanding, and it appears everytime BT comes out with something New (BT Infinity) they stop any existing rollout (CN21) to install the new product in area that already have fast internet :(

Oh well.. :

10. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

What a waste of time.

11. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

speed limits aren't the only problem
    most urbna homes can get 8mb/s which is fine however very very few people have no data caps

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Exactly. I am one of those few - 50Mb/sec connection, no data limits whatsoever (thanks, Virgin Media) - but then I can download (from Steam) most of my games in a matter of minutes *anyway*.

Let's face it, this really isn't aimed at PC gamers.

13. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Depends on the game though - twitch games like FPS and some sports games - definitely an advantage; strategy games much less so.

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

OnLive is available in the UK now....I already have an account. That said, the quality is pretty abysmal and I would never use it on my gaming PC - I'd rather play my games at 4 times the resolution and with no input lag.

15. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Oh god, oh god, oh god...
    No help if you have a BT 10GB max usage...

16. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

I would eat there daily fair usage amount up in like an hour!

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I've been using onlive (US servers) in the UK for a while. I still feel its up against consoles rather than gaming PC's at best. The result is still gonna be Onlive investing in broadband which is a win for everyone. If it succeeds or not it'll still bring some improvement. Yes it has a lot of shortcomings atm but it isn't too bad and does have potential. The best part is the free service allows you to trial the limited number of games they do have.

As for the whole "I don't wanna rent games" - you still pay for xbox live with no complaints, look at sony too, you have downloads from PSN which you can't use between the PSP and xperia play, many of which you had on ps1 (I rebought final fantasy 7 and 8 on PSN). The make it clear you don't really own anything, just a few bytes of data, if we don't support it. Its like the european housing market, we're moving from owning to renting. Lovefilm and netflix is essentially the same. TBH paying a fee per month and having accesses to what ever game I want when I want is a win. Especially when that fee is gonna be less that that of a new title, many of which I complete after 10hours and spend the rest of the month bored.

18. djab

djab What's a Dremel?

For those who think that a PC will always output better graphics than Onlive servers:
    http://youtu.be/muCtJsy-d9w
    This was done by MOVA, an OnLive subsidiary that offers motion-capture services for movies like Harry Potter, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbeans.
    According to Steve Perlman, CEO of OnLive, this quality of graphics could be achieved in real time in video games but only if it is computed on servers and then streamed to the player screen (Like Onlive).

I'd really like to see if they can do that.

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Pfft give me a break, we're miles away from being able to achieve that. OnLive might not even be around when we reach that level of capability and the Internet connections to handle it, and they won't certainly be the only ones when we do.

As of right now, OnLive is poor. Just take a look for yourself here and here - why would I want to play a game on my PC which has worse graphics than a console game, yet costs more? People are always talking about the potential of OnLive but always seem to ignore the fact that, in its current form, it sucks balls.

20. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

yeah i get games from steam but steam doesnt require me to pay a subscription on top of paying for the game to access the service

i.e. if i stop my subsciption all my BOUGHT games dont mean jack as i cant access them hence you are only leasing. steam platform on the other hand is FREE so unless steam go bust and shutdown their servers with no unlock of your games then ive bought them and i own them

Tags: Add Tags