1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Deus Ex: Human Revolution Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 22 Aug 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

The main question though: What does Joe think?

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I want to believe that review.

But I don't. I'll have to buy it.

Is it first or third person? If it's third person, it's automatically crap.

4. RichardC

RichardC What's a Dremel?

It's first person, switching to third when you go into cover.

5. Ryinan

Ryinan What's a Dremel?

Wheres Onlive has a platform, i mean the devs even have Onlive down as a platform. I'm just asking for some fair treatment, enjoyed the interview though. I love some third-person view, it doesn't =crap cause of it.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Nice formula right there, Ability to peek around corners in 3rd person makes Gameplay a bit smoother if implemented well, Lord knows that it's a wonderful asset in the middle of a firefight.

7. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

I'll have to play it. Whilst I'm sure I'll enjoy it I fear that I'll be left a little underwhelmed.

It sounds very "Square-Enixy" which means there'll be plenty of good moments, a few exceptional moments and a few really, really bad moments.

8. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Shoulda been 85% to make a bigger acknowledgement of the bad bits. But whatever. I just want to play it now.

9. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I'm just pleased they didn't mess it up. A lot of these experiments in Intellectual Property Necromancy™ turn out to be absolute drek. Yeah I'm looking at you, Operation Flashpoint.

10. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Looking good. I'll hold on to my preorder :)

11. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I have my preorder. on a whim i went back and installed the original, while the plot stands up to time, some of the gameplay....doesn't.

I have a feeling this will be awesome

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ah, relieved it turned out great :) damn I've got some epic games to look forward to when I'm done modding, extra motivation to finish up ASAP :D.

13. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh, god.

No, it doesn't. It removes all tension. It wrecks things utterly. It means that instead of waiting for someone you're creeping up on, you watch him. Like a security camera. Like a ten-year-old connsowl oughnar wat r immpaysh... impa... dont want 2 wate for teh bad guy.

Aaargh.

Blargh.

14. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I simply can't believe how much positivity is surrounding this release. It makes me incredibly happy.
    The notion of getting a new game worthy of the Deus Ex moniker is almost alien, and the fact that it seems to have happened makes me a very happy PC Gamer.

Really can't wait to get my hands on this game.

15. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I understand that viewpoint, but one thing I despise in some games is when you spot a guard patrolling past, you hide and wait, and wait, and wait a bit more, and even though you know he should've gone past by now he hasn't. Then you pop out, and he shoots you in the face because you didn't wait long enough.

If the ability to see around corners is capable of wrecking things, then that ability to see -through- walls must be world-ending, too.

16. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I always thought that with Deus Ex, everyone loved it in spite of it's many, many cumbersome flaws. If Human Revolution can come half as close to producing the same feeling as playing Deus Ex did, I'm willing to forgive it even bad boss battles.

I've heard you can prevent guards from noticing you hacking computers by building a fort of boxes around you to block their view.

This alone resulted in a pre-order for me. It just sounds so mischevous!

17. RichardC

RichardC What's a Dremel?

You can certainly screw them up by putting a cardboard box in front of a door they want to walk through. Like it says in the review, it's no achievement to catch the AI acting wonky. But for the most part, it's fine.

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Tension: Mental or emotional strain; intense, suppressed suspense, anxiety, or excitement.

Yes. Yes. That. Exactly that. Correct. Good. More please.

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

You sound just like me :) I hate 3rd person. Only time I made an exception was for Dark Sector.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Phil: Breathe. Some folks like the 3rd person pop-out. Frankly I prefer it over a game that gives you no indication of where a guard is (i.e. most of 'em). Either they go to super funky town on the audio and make it easy to tell which direction the guard is going in, or give us another indicator.

Also: New Deus Ex worth playing! Awesome. :D

Tags: Add Tags