1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Warhammer 40K: Space Marine Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Thanks for a balanced review, looks like the first few levels could be used as a nightly relax after work!

3. Fuganater

Fuganater What's a Dremel?

Very good review. I will still probably pick it up. I thought the demo was awesome.

4. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

NOOOOOO! I am only in the second act! I hate the sniping parts that have been introduced so far!

Regardless, many, many props to THQ for faithfully reproducing the 40k universe. From the opening moments of the first cutscene, I felt really immersed. From the overall air of the game to how much I feel like an f'ing badass as a marine, it's exactly as it should be. It's like playing a book about the UltraMarines. I love it.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its deffo worth a purchase but not at full price imo, £15 tops but no more

6. Sensei

Sensei What's a Dremel?

Think I'll wait till its out on budget. I like cover systems in a shooter so dont know how I will get on with this one.

7. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Even with all it's flaws I'm absolutely loving it.

8. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Spot on. Steam xmas sale - you should pick it up. That's if it ever appears on steam in the UK....

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Awesome game and loving it, but the P2P matchmaking for multi is driving me nuts! I cannot connect to a single game anywhere and get a decent connection. This rules out any use of Stalker bolters, lascannons or close combat as they require accuracy. Still, I'm happy with my melta-gun and Heavy Bolter :D

10. Gigglebyte

Gigglebyte :3

Playing the game through made me consider getting back into tabletop 40K >:D
    It's been many years since my last game though D:

11. SolidShot

SolidShot Minimodder

They missed a key issue in this review though - ITS NOT ON STEAM!!

12. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

As someone who's recently rediscovered the wonderful world of tabletop 40K battling, I thoroughly recommend you do exactly that!

13. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

The mic chatter is infuriating as well, only being able to mute players in the lobby is just stupid.

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

If you click through the UK price link in the review, you can buy a key, which you then register to your steam account, and then it's on steam. Un-necessary middle-man-tastic.

15. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

It may not be on Steam for you guys in the UK but it definitely is here in Australia :D. I loved the demo, too short IMO, will definitely be buying this once it goes down in price a bit.

16. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I was sort of sad at first too see 70% score, I'm absolutely thrilled about the game.

Then it hit that this being a "mediocre" game in average gamer's eyes means it will sold at a sizeable discount pretty soon. Which is nice. Very nice. I got plenty of stuff to finish while waiting.

For the Emperor!

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

In don´t think that a 70% score is fair in comparison to 75% of "baconing". Baconing, altough it is hilarious at some points is ultra repetitive diablo-style.

Space Marine is surelly missing some points, but the game is very fun and really put you in the shoes os a ultramarine. It is SOLID as rock and has a strong attention to details. The visuals are stunning and the combat is much better than that overhyped Witcher 2, which acrobatic-like m ovements put you ervey time where you carefull try to avoid.

I can´t express how impressed I am with the visuals of the game.

Anyway it is undeniable that the "attack of the clones" like battles sometimes gets annoying, but compared to games like " Baconing", SM deserves at least a 80%.

And I am NOT a Warhammer fanboy (never read a book, never played the tabletop, but have many miniatures painted), just a hardcore PC gamer.

18. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

@Yemerich

The difference I would guess is that while Baconing might be a 75% Diablo clone, Space Marine is stomping into the relatively crowded field of third person shooters. And this is a field with some absolutely monumental titles in it. If you're going to bring an orthodox third person shooter into the world, which in all honesty is exactly what Space Marine is, then it needs to be tighter than a gnats bumhole during a penalty shoot-out. By all accounts it doesn't try to do too much, and that which it attempts to do it does reasonable well for a reasonable amount of time. So seventy sounds like a good shout.

19. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Paid £21 for my key, have to say I've enjoyed every minute of Space Marine so far, but I am a huge Games Workshop/40k fan, and I do love my ott violent hack and slash games...

20. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

It is a Steamworks game, so where ever you purchase the key from it will register on Steam. Sure you can't purchase it direct from Steam but I don't see that as a problem, the online retailer prices for a retail copy are cheaper 99% of the time for new releases vs the direct from Steam prices anyways. Plus as Baz mentioned you can buy just the key, which is what I did, appeared just after mid-night on the release date, so I didn't have to wait for the postie either. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steam_games#2011

Tags: Add Tags